Cabela's MES 40 20071115 heating issue/PID help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

ChiefMojo27

Original poster
May 21, 2023
Newbie here and I've been sucked into this forum that I just found for the past 4 hours (needless to say, my wife is a little jealous :P ). I've been banging my head with my MES 40 that decided that it just didn't want to heat up anymore (after prepping a pork shoulder to smoke). I did some research and replaced the heating element. The first one I ordered didn't quite fit right and didn't heat up, so I did a little more digging and ordered another heating element from a different manufacturer (which was recommended by the YouTuber I watched the replacement video.) Like I said, I'm a newbie, though I've been using my MES for almost 3 years without any issues. The new one installed without any issues and was a perfect fit, but it is still not heating up (hence the banging of my head). I have ordered a new temp control switch, but after reading this awesome forum, I think I'm going to go the PID route. I'm on a tight budget and was wondering if I could get away with this Inkbird PID (https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Controlling-Fermentation/dp/B07PVBG8K1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=programmable+pid+controller+electric+smoker&linkCode=osi&qid=1684644013&sr=8-1-spons&th=1&smid=A1RUFFFCQ74BCW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNkk3TjVMN0ZBWDNYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDg4NjU4MVFDMFMyR0dTM0JGNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjk4NTIxMVI0MkhZVU9RTEtFTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU) until I can afford the Auber with wifi.

The only reason I'm looking at a cheaper alternative is that I have a gift card that expires at the end of June and need to use it. Thoughts? I fully plan on going the Auber route once I save up the money, but, like I said, I'm on a tight tight budget until then and would still like my lovely smoked meats. Thanks to everyone in advance.

That's not going to work. Your MES 40 has a 1200 watt element. You need to check your safety switch first to make sure that's not the problem. I'm on my phone or I'd type more. tallbm tallbm will surely see this, but if you do a search for safety switch, or I think safety rollout switch that will set you on the right path.

Ok, not on my phone now. If you've replaced the element you need to see if it's getting voltage, which it's probably not. The easiest approach would be to measure at the terminals on the element, since you already have removed the access to that twice. Do you know how to use / have a multimeter?

Last edited:
Reactions: tallbm
If you end up needing a controller, save up your coins and get an Auber WS-1510ELPM.

That's not going to work. Your MES 40 has a 1200 watt element. You need to check your safety switch first to make sure that's not the problem. I'm on my phone or I'd type more. tallbm tallbm will surely see this, but if you do a search for safety switch, or I think safety rollout switch that will set you on the right path.

Ok, not on my phone now. If you've replaced the element you need to see if it's getting voltage, which it's probably not. The easiest approach would be to measure at the terminals on the element, since you already have removed the access to that twice. Do you know how to use / have a multimeter?
I'll try jumping the safety rolllout switch and see if I have voltage at the terminals. Is that the route you would take?

Here are the readings from my multimeter. Does that look right? I've also attached a picture of where the heating element is wired up.

Attachments

• Image (19).jpg
    Image (19).jpg
    226.2 KB · Views: 26
  • Image (18).jpg
    Image (18).jpg
    199.7 KB · Views: 25
I'll try jumping the safety rolllout switch and see if I have voltage at the terminals. Is that the route you would take?
Yes, the route I would take is checking voltage at the terminals of the element. You can over ride safety switches at your discretion. It is a very basic circuit. That, and if you're asking me if the reading on your meter looks right, I'm afraid to comment regarding that.

That and stop by Roll Call to introduce yourself.

Last edited:
Newbie here and I've been sucked into this forum that I just found for the past 4 hours (needless to say, my wife is a little jealous :P ). I've been banging my head with my MES 40 that decided that it just didn't want to heat up anymore (after prepping a pork shoulder to smoke). I did some research and replaced the heating element. The first one I ordered didn't quite fit right and didn't heat up, so I did a little more digging and ordered another heating element from a different manufacturer (which was recommended by the YouTuber I watched the replacement video.) Like I said, I'm a newbie, though I've been using my MES for almost 3 years without any issues. The new one installed without any issues and was a perfect fit, but it is still not heating up (hence the banging of my head). I have ordered a new temp control switch, but after reading this awesome forum, I think I'm going to go the PID route. I'm on a tight budget and was wondering if I could get away with this Inkbird PID (https://www.amazon.com/Inkbird-Temperature-Controller-Controlling-Fermentation/dp/B07PVBG8K1/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=programmable+pid+controller+electric+smoker&linkCode=osi&qid=1684644013&sr=8-1-spons&th=1&smid=A1RUFFFCQ74BCW&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExNkk3TjVMN0ZBWDNYJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNDg4NjU4MVFDMFMyR0dTM0JGNiZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUEwNjk4NTIxMVI0MkhZVU9RTEtFTiZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU) until I can afford the Auber with wifi.

The only reason I'm looking at a cheaper alternative is that I have a gift card that expires at the end of June and need to use it. Thoughts? I fully plan on going the Auber route once I save up the money, but, like I said, I'm on a tight tight budget until then and would still like my lovely smoked meats. Thanks to everyone in advance.
Hi there and welcome!
mr_whipple mr_whipple has been giving you great info!

There is a good chance that your safety limit switch has melted down or has corroded connectors. Check it out and if you buy pass it (just connect the wire ends) then you can see if your smoker heats up and you know that the switch is the problem
WARNING: you are removing the safety mechanism so that is on you and know that you are doing so at your own risk :)

If that isn't the problem then a rewire is going to be your next best bet and is in line with you using a PID in the future anyhow.

Check and let us know what you find out. If you need to rewire and be up and running there could be a cheap analog option to try but It's something I've never done and you would just be figuring this out on your own with very loose control, so results WILL vary as you kind of pioneer and feel it out :)

If you are comfortable with wiring, you can make your own PID controller for the MES. This can be done with a REX C-100 PID controller, thermocouple, and a SSR module. You can get these parts for under $20 from AliExpress. Depending on how the controllers are configured, you may get some that will only display degrees C. That isn't an issue for me but some folks don't like it.

I also will make a controller for forum members if they are interested.

Black Cat 2 front.jpg

JC :emoji_cat:

Thanks everyone for all of your replies. My new safety limit switch came today, but the weather is crappy and I don't want to go out and fight with it :) . I'm also going to double check my ground connection as well when the weather wants to cooperate. JC in GB JC in GB , what would you charge to make a controller?

If you are comfortable with wiring, you can make your own PID controller for the MES. This can be done with a REX C-100 PID controller, thermocouple, and a SSR module. You can get these parts for under $20 from AliExpress. Depending on how the controllers are configured, you may get some that will only display degrees C. That isn't an issue for me but some folks don't like it.

I also will make a controller for forum members if they are interested.

View attachment 666051

JC :emoji_cat:

I did the same works great.

Reactions: JC in GB
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky