PID addition to Gen-1 MES 40

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

river100

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Sep 2, 2017
I mentioned a while back my old gen-1 40 inch smoker had huge temp swings. Way too big to do sausage. I've been wanting to do this for a long time just never got around to it.
I like the Auber pre-built PID boxes but being in the electronics field for 40+ years caused me to stay away from LCD if I can. So I got the new Auber WiFi enabled PID and put a box together. The model # is AW-SYL-2352 and it runs around $100.00
I bought most of the parts from Auber and only had to add a marine circuit breaker, wire, and a couple of 110 vac plugs. I'm using an PT100 with a 3mm tip.
I spent about 3 hours tuning and running it though some tests and I'm pretty happy with the results. So far it's holding temp within 2 or 3 degs F. I started with the factory default values and since they were pretty close I just tweaked them a little.
I want to thank tallbm again for the re-wire post. Saved me a lot of time.
here's some pics if I can get them to upload.

Attachments

• controller-front-view.jpg
    controller-front-view.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 35
  • controller-top-view_155257.jpg
    controller-top-view_155257.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 37
  • Screenshot_20230322-215730_AuberWifi.jpg
    Screenshot_20230322-215730_AuberWifi.jpg
    58.1 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_20230323-171555_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20230323-171555_Gallery.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:
Reactions: normanaj
I mentioned a while back my old gen-1 40 inch smoker had huge temp swings. Way too big to do sausage. I've been wanting to do this for a long time just never got around to it.
I like the Auber pre-built PID boxes but being in the electronics field for 40+ years caused me to stay away from LCD if I can. So I got the new Auber WiFi enabled PID and put a box together. The model # is AW-SYL-2352 and it runs around $100.00
I bought most of the parts from Auber and only had to add a marine circuit breaker, wire, and a couple of 110 vac plugs. I'm using an PT100 with a 3mm tip.
I spent about 3 hours tuning and running it though some tests and I'm pretty happy with the results. So far it's holding temp within 2 or 3 degs F. I started with the factory default values and since they were pretty close I just tweaked them a little.
I want to thank tallbm again for the re-wire post. Saved me a lot of time.
here's some pics if I can get them to upload.
Hi River 100

I enjoyed seeing your post and your pictures. I am considering doing this mod for my 40 inch MES. But with the "made for dummies" Auber wifi electric smoker controller 1800 watts.

My question to you is how you are making the smoke if you are using the original side port, how did you keep the smaller wood burning in element going with this modification? The info I saw on the PID modification never mentions the wood chip burner. Can you keep that wood burning element going with the mod? Thanks!

My question to you is how you are making the smoke if you are using the original side port, how did you keep the smaller wood burning in element going with this modification? The info I saw on the PID modification never mentions the wood chip burner. Can you keep that wood burning element going with the mod? Thanks!
Most folks here are using Amazen trays or tubes. These burn pellets or pellet dust independently of the MES element. They're lit using a propane torch and either placed in the smoker or outside the smoker using the "mailbox mod". These can produce in upwards of 12 hours of continuous smoke.

Because of room constraints I use a ubolt modified tube burning dust in my MES but the mailbox mod makes using tray or tube even easier.

For more detailed info do a forum search for mailbox mod or for using a modded tube the link in my signature.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky