Corned ham???

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Domo

Original poster
Jan 4, 2023
Hey all you great folks! Does anyone here know about corned ham? It is used to make Southern Maryland stuffed ham. I used to help my step dad corn a ham and he used morton tender quick. Any help would be great. Thanks
Domo

Reactions: JLeonard
Hey all you great folks! Does anyone here know about corned ham? It is used to make Southern Maryland stuffed ham. I used to help my step dad corn a ham and he used morton tender quick. Any help would be great. Thanks
Domo
It is made with a fresh picnic deboned.

Never tried it myself but had copied it years ago and put in my files. I just go buy one already corned.

http://www.saveur.com/article/Recipes/Corned-HamCorned

Corned hams are pretty much a thing of the past, You may still be able to get one at Food city, not sure.

You can make your own by brineing it in your Refrigerator for 1 week.

bring to a boil 4 quarts water

2 cups of coarse or kosher salt

1/4 cup sugar

2 tablespoons pickling spice

1 1/2 teaspoons saltpeter.

The only place to buy saltpeter in Crossville is at the old drug store downtown before you get to watertank hill and regions bank.

You can use a fresh ham or fresh picnic. This receipe is enough to brine between 5 and 8 lbs of meat in either a crock or shoebox sized tupperware container with lid on. The meat will float in the liquid so you will need to weigh it down using a heavy plate, bowl, brick or something non toxix. The liquid needs to be a few inches ofer the meat so if its a bit short you can add more water.

Make sure you don't pour liquid over meat until it has cooled.

You can used this same receipe to make corned beef as well using a traditional beef brisket or for that matter a chuck roast or any beef roast.

Reactions: sawhorseray
Never heard of one. Assume I could use a butt (shoulder) since it’s pretty much the same for all intents and purposes.

so what do you do with the finished product? Similar to corned beef?

Reactions: Inscrutable
Thx Jake!
I have 3 butts and 2 tenderloins in the freezer, and sure that loins will be on sale at some point soon.
Think Porkstrami is in my near future.

A corned ham is nothing more than a cured ham. Many ways to go about this process. Never do you want to cure meat at refrigeration temperature with nitrate or salt Peter. Nitrate needs bacteria to break it down into nitrite, no other way around that. These bacteria need to be above 40*F but closer to 50*F . With cure #1 or nitrite cure this works directly and works very well at refrigeration temperature.

All that said, curing ham is a simple straightforward process, but if curing a ham with bone in, you need to involve injection into the curing process. This will insure cure around the deep muscle and around the bone specifically. Otherwise you risk bone sour.

A few good ways to do the cure but this is my favorite.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/5-days-from-picnic-to-ham.296135/#post-2348915

Use this to make your ham, then stuff it and cook it. You will be blessed.

I'll have to disagree with the statement that a corned ham is the same as a cured ham. When I've purchased corned hams they come in a vacuum sealed bag with corning liquid surrounding the ham. This bag is not tight around the ham it's loose and has plenty of liquid surrounding the ham. As I stated when I posted the recipe that I've never done it myself. Stuffed plenty of hams though.

Here's one version of Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham

Some say it's more traditional to boil the ham in a pot of water. If you do it this way I'd recommend doing outside. I've done mine on the smoker with half of it submerged in a pan of water, flipping it multiple times throughout the cooking process.

Last edited:
I'll have to disagree with the statement that a corned ham is the same as a cured ham. When I've purchased corned hams they come in a vacuum sealed bag with corning liquid surrounding the ham. This bag is not tight around the ham it's loose and has plenty of liquid surrounding the ham. As I stated when I posted the recipe that I've never done it myself. Stuffed plenty of hams though.

https://ask.usda.gov/s/article/What-is-corning

Question
Is corned pork (ham) uncooked as is corned beef?

I'll explain in case some don't know US meat regulations.
A cured ham must follow strict rules on levels of sodium nitrite and moisture binders such as STPP (or AmesPhos) AND be fully cooked.

If I recall correctly, in the EU cured but uncooked pork is called a green ham.

Reactions: SmokinEdge
Not sure about texture but there is a difference in taste. Cured ham is , well cured ham. Is corned beef just cured beef? No it's not...difference of spices used to make it corned beef. So I would think corned ham would take other spices as well.

Ryan

Reactions: chopsaw
A corned ham is nothing more than a cured ham. Many ways to go about this process. Never do you want to cure meat at refrigeration temperature with nitrate or salt Peter. Nitrate needs bacteria to break it down into nitrite, no other way around that. These bacteria need to be above 40*F but closer to 50*F . With cure #1 or nitrite cure this works directly and works very well at refrigeration temperature.

All that said, curing ham is a simple straightforward process, but if curing a ham with bone in, you need to involve injection into the curing process. This will insure cure around the deep muscle and around the bone specifically. Otherwise you risk bone sour.

A few good ways to do the cure but this is my favorite.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/5-days-from-picnic-to-ham.296135/#post-2348915

Use this to make your ham, then stuff it and cook it. You will be blessed.
Thank you very much. If you ever try southern md stuffed ham you would be hooked. The corned ham texture and spice is amazing. I have my best friends moms recipe. It's the best sandwich ever. I normally buy the ham but going to do my own this time.

Here's one version of Southern Maryland Stuffed Ham

Some say it's more traditional to boil the ham in a pot of water. If you do it this way I'd recommend doing outside. I've done mine on the smoker with half of it submerged in a pan of water, flipping it multiple times throughout the cooking process.
You make stuffing the stuff a corned han wrap it all up in cheesecloth then boil it. 20 mins per lb

Reactions: TKOBBQ1
Thanks interesting reading. I'm no expert by any means but still feel there is a taste/texture difference between a traditional ham as most know it and a corned ham.
That is 100% true. The corned ham is different and in my opinion better.

A corned ham is nothing more than a cured ham. Many ways to go about this process.

I'll have to disagree with the statement that a corned ham is the same as a cured ham. When I've purchased corned hams they come in a vacuum sealed bag with corning liquid surrounding the ham.

Not sure about texture but there is a difference in taste. Cured ham is , well cured ham. Is corned beef just cured beef? No it's not...difference of spices used to make it corned beef.

I think we have a difference in terms as they relate to technique and possibly procedure. And spices also play an important role in a corning brine or injection. Where I'm headed with this is.... "Corning" is a curing method that may have a USDA definition as well as a Grandpa definition.

Although I have used a covering corning brine forever, I have modified my technique by using the daveomak daveomak injectable technique, then use a covering brine that has evolved to include more seasonings. Consider the 17 spices and other ingredients in the list below I use when making corned beef, and corned pork (which I refer to as Porkstrami), because those ingredients make a BIG difference in flavor. In my eye.... if I only used water, salt and Cure #1, I would be able to cure meat. But, by adding some extras to the bucket, I can corn meat.
  1. water
  2. beer
  3. salt
  4. sugar
  5. pickling spice
  6. 3 kinds of mustard seeds
  7. coriander seeds
  8. bay leaves
  9. Old Bay
  10. garlic
  11. ginger
  12. black pepper
  13. cloves
  14. Cure #1
  15. AmesPhos

I think we have a difference in terms as they relate to technique and possibly procedure. And spices also play an important role in a corning brine or injection. Where I'm headed with this is.... "Corning" is a curing method that may have a USDA definition as well as a Grandpa definition.

Although I have used a covering corning brine forever, I have modified my technique by using the daveomak daveomak injectable technique, then use a covering brine that has evolved to include more seasonings. Consider the 17 spices and other ingredients in the list below I use when making corned beef, and corned pork (which I refer to as Porkstrami), because those ingredients make a BIG difference in flavor. In my eye.... if I only used water, salt and Cure #1, I would be able to cure meat. But, by adding some extras to the bucket, I can corn meat.
  1. water
  2. beer
  3. salt
  4. sugar
  5. pickling spice
  7. coriander seeds
  8. bay leaves
  9. Old Bay
  10. garlic
  11. ginger
  12. black pepper
  13. cloves
  14. Cure #1
  15. AmesPhos
Good explanation!

Ryan

1. water
  2. beer
  3. salt
  4. sugar
  5. pickling spice
  7. coriander seeds
  8. bay leaves
  9. Old Bay
  10. garlic
  11. ginger
  12. black pepper
  13. cloves
  14. Cure #1
  15. AmesPhos
Maybe so, but Corning, or salt curing, is one thing. Then spicing is another. You can add spices to any curing process. It’s not exclusive to the Corning method, which is just curing with salt corns. However you choose to cure the ham, if done correctly, will produce a delicious cured ham with whatever flavors you choose to include.

Traditional “Corning” was salt only. No brine. When you boiled the meat to reduce the salt concentration, you could add spices to any flavor you like. That’s the way I remember it and saw it done. I prefer less sodium so I don’t play with salt boxes.

Funny how corned beef comes in solution in a bag, it’s just cured beef, but also comes with a packet of spices to boil the meat with. No salt corns in play at all.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky