1. Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Corned beef packer

Discussion in 'Beef' started by idahopz, Jan 10, 2019.

1. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Nothing special, but a tasty treat for me and the missus. A friend in food service stopped by the other day with a corned beef brisket, and of course, I immediately prepared it for smoking. Separating the point fronm the flat, the meat was smoked at around 250F for 2 hours using mesquite pellets, then finished in the house oven, foiled with 2 cups of beef broth to around 205F I.T.. I cut up the point into 1 cm cubes and fried them in the rendered fat from the trimmings. Sure is a tasty.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/CbX1eovkybi8UvKBA

2. tropics

tropics Epic Pitmaster OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

Pete That looks great
    Richie

3. gmc2003

gmc2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Looks like a mighty tasty meal.

Point for sure.
    Chris

4. SmokinAl

SmokinAl SMF Hall of Fame Pitmaster Staff Member Moderator OTBS Member ★ Lifetime Premier ★

That is pretty cool Pete!
    I've never seen a whole packer turned into corned beef.
    I't always just the point or just the flat!
    Al

5. idahopz

idahopz Smoking Fanatic

Thanks Richie, and thanks for the like!

Thanks Chris - we made Reuben sammies yesterday and they were butter tender. Thank you for the like!

I know what you mean, Al - at the regular grocery stores I too only see the point or flat (small ones at that). These days I normally shop at Cash and Carry for most of my meats, and they always have big packages - I usually purchase the St. Helens brand of corned beef packers, and they are typically less than $3/lb on sale.

Thanks for the like!