Corn bread

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

woodsplitter

Original poster
Jan 25, 2014
Northern Illinois
While I was using the search bar tonight after dinner I seen the topic of "corn bread" on the UK forum. I saw the use of sugar in the corn bread recipe, yes corn bread is sweet but for a secret replacing the sugar with honey works a whole lot better:yahoo: and using real butter instead of oil is a a must for greasing the pan and topping the bread at about 3/4 the way done on cooking time . Oh and as an addition some sweet corn added to the batter is wholly lot better, funny I seen this tonight just finished making a venison meat loaf mashed taters and broiled zucchini topped with mozzarella cheese and a side of corn bread :drool

Sounds good and I add cream style corn, onions, jalo's and LOTS of butter
pot.gif

I would scare all of you. When I was growing up, my mother made "Johnny Bread" which was just corn meal, flour, fat, sugar, water and baking powder. We had it with butter and honey. 

On second thought, I guess you wouldn't expect to find great cornbread in Canada.

Disco

I like Butter ON the corn bread but it gots to be BACON GREASE in the pan...JJ
36.gif

My grandma taught me to oil the pan (cast iron skillet) with real butter, then preheat the pan in the oven while you mixed up the cornbread.  She added one more egg than the recipe called for, plus one can of creamed corn and one can of regular corn, drained.  Even better to add corn cut from the cob that you had the night before if available.  When it was done she removed it from the oven and rubbed a stick of butter over the top, just letting it melt about 1/4 to 1/2 of the stick.  Then a quick sprinkle of cinnamon over the whole thing and it was ready to serve.  Of course, more butter and honey never hurts.  Hmmmm, this is starting to make me understand why I'm such a "slim" guy, hahaha, not!

grilling_smilie.gif

I would scare all of you. When I was growing up, my mother made "Johnny Bread" which was just corn meal, flour, fat, sugar, water and baking powder. We had it with butter and honey. 

On second thought, I guess you wouldn't expect to find great cornbread in Canada.

Disco

Hey , don't sell your people short ! Some of the best johnny cakes I ever had were made by my wife's people in Nova Scotia . The old aunt made em right in the skillet. They were top shelf !

I love me some good corn bread. My Dad never liked cornbread and I could never understand why. Then one night I made the cornbread instead of Mom and Dad really enjoyed it-Mom was a bit miffed as Dad wouldn't eat hers. Come to find out that Mom likes sugar-lots of sugar whereas I prefer a savory cornbread.

Right after my oldest daughter got married, she called her grandma for a cornbread recipe and yep Mom gave the daughter hers. Well, Ma and I got invited to the daughter’s house for supper and she proceeded to take the cornbread out of the cast iron pan and served it.
She asked what I thought of it and I told her that if she put frosting on top, it would be a nice cake. Ma cussed me out for sounding like my Dad.

Amen on that JD- she now makes cornbread my way which makes me a happy papa! She brought some of her last batch over a couple of weeks ago in which she add so diced jalapeno's and extra sharp cheddar cheese.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky