Cooking temps

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

wilk7j

Original poster
Dec 29, 2013
North GA
I'm just curious here. Why do we cook a brisket to 190 IT for slicing when the chart that came with my maverick says medium well is 150ish. Same for a boston butt pull at 205 It but my chart says 160 for well done.

Maybe some of the other folks can jump in here, but to my understanding these cuts have a lot of connective tissue inside and it takes low and slow up to those higher temps to break it all down. Someone correct me if I'am wrong here but that's my understanding. WHB

Hello.  Rely on that chart as you would rely on the therm that came with the unit.  In my opinion brisket just can't be served rare or medium well.  Brisket just has to be cooked to death.  It NEEDS that time to become tender.  It is probably medium well at 150ish but it doesn't say it will be a good tender slice of beef.  Only my opinion.  Others may think differently.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

Thanks for the info. Sounds like its as much about tenderness. Makes sense with those two cuts.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky