• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Cooking temps

wilk7j

Joined Dec 29, 2013
I'm just curious here. Why do we cook a brisket to 190 IT for slicing when the chart that came with my maverick says medium well is 150ish. Same for a boston butt pull at 205 It but my chart says 160 for well done.

WaterinHoleBrew

Legendary Pitmaster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Jun 18, 2013
Maybe some of the other folks can jump in here, but to my understanding these cuts have a lot of connective tissue inside and it takes low and slow up to those higher temps to break it all down. Someone correct me if I'am wrong here but that's my understanding. WHB

kc5tpy

Master of the Pit
Joined May 12, 2013
Hello.  Rely on that chart as you would rely on the therm that came with the unit.  In my opinion brisket just can't be served rare or medium well.  Brisket just has to be cooked to death.  It NEEDS that time to become tender.  It is probably medium well at 150ish but it doesn't say it will be a good tender slice of beef.  Only my opinion.  Others may think differently.  Keep Smokin!

Danny

matt22556

Fire Starter
Joined Sep 8, 2012
Those temps are safe temps. Pulled pork temp is 190 to pull out of the smoker and wrap for and camber for at least 30 min then pull.

wilk7j

Joined Dec 29, 2013
Thanks for the info. Sounds like its as much about tenderness. Makes sense with those two cuts.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.