Cooking pork Butts on Thursday

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

rlgiv

Original poster
May 1, 2013
chesapeake va
So, Thursday I am going to smoke a couple of pork Butts for some friends little boys birthday party that is on Saturday. Problem is I work Friday and Saturday so the plan is to smoke on Thursday and refrigerate Friday and saturday then warm it up and transport to the party on Saturday.

My question is. Should I keep the Butts whole until after they are warmed back up or should I shred them the same day I cook them.
Also with that much meat what would be the best strategy to reheat them?

Pull it soon as it's rested an hour or so after the initial cook. As Zack mentioned, pour the juice (drippings) from the smoke in with the pork after it's pulled. Reheat in a slow cooker (okay) or vacuum bags (better). It will taste great.

Reactions: rlgiv
Personally I would pull after a little rest the same day. Vacuum seal in as many bags as needed then warm the bags up in a pot of hot water on the stove. You can always put the meat in a croc pot after you reheat in the bags. The pork will stay moist and nobody will know you didn't just pull that stuff off the smoker.
Works every time for me.

good luck!

+1 Pull after smoking. That said, one time I tried chopping instead of pulling and family much preferred that. I prefer roaster oven over crock but both work. Foil pans into a low temp oven is also doable. Don't OCD about reheating, PP is very forgiving.

I would pull,then vacuum seal. Use a cooler with ice water in it to cool the vacuum seal bags then refrigerate.
Use whatever method above to reheat.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky