cooking fish...for someone that hates fish

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I'd most likely cook Halibut in a butter white wine sauce with paper thin slices of red onion and capers.
Think veal piccata but with Halibut.
You can make it in a pan on the grill. I just had it prepared that way in a wood fired pizza oven. It was amazing. Just make sure you pick a piece of fish that has little to no red or dark colors in it, then when you get it home trim every speck of red or brown off the fish before cooking it. You should do this with any white fish. Dover Sole is very mild and works great this way as well.

Here is another recipe we find NOT FISHY and it doesn't smell up the kitchen either. We do just 2 - 7oz servings since it's only the two of us. Usually substitute halibut as Sea Bass is normally pricey.

Sea Bass w/Ginger Over Wilted Spinach

Recipe By: Giada De Laurentiis
Serving Size: 4

Calories are 796 per, with the bread & butter (395 without)
Substitute: Halibut or Haddock

Ingredients:

6 cups spinach fresh
28 ozs sea bass fillets, 7oz filets per
4 teaspoons ginger root, peeled and minced
2 teaspoons garlic, minced
1/2 cup Marsala wine, Dry not sweet
8 teaspoons soy sauce
2 teaspoons sesame oil
1 lime, quartered
2 tablespoons basil chiffonade, fresh
- - -
456 grams Baguette, 2-2.5oz pcs each (57g/pc)
4 tbs butter

Directions:

1. Cut 4 (12-inch-square pieces) of aluminum foil. Preheat the oven to 400ºF.

2. Working with 1 foil sheet at a time, place the foil sheets on the work surface.

- Place 1 1/2 cups of spinach in the center of each foil sheet.
- Top with the fillet. Sprinkle 1 tsp of ginger and 1/2 tsp garlic,
- Drizzle 2 TBS Marsala, 2 tsp soy sauce & 1/2 tsp sesame oil over the fish & spinach.

Gather the foil sheets over the fish. Fold in the foil edges and pinch tightly to seal. Place the foil packages on a heavy large baking sheet.

3. Bake until the spinach wilts and the fish is just cooked through, about 10 minutes. If pieces are thick go for 13 minutes. Transfer the packages to wide shallow bowls. Cool 5 minutes.

Open package and fold down to reveal fish, being careful of hot steam. Squeeze the lime juice over the fish. Sprinkle the basil over and serve.

Last edited:
Halibut all day long for non fish tasting fish. Any seasoning will work with it....it does have an odor while prepping but tastes clean.

Lingcod is also good as mentioned.

I prefer both of the above over salmon for less fish tasting if that is goal. I actually need to do more fish myself...too much red meat.

Halibut is dry for my taste buds.

Ling cod is pretty oil but still very good

I love Rock cod for day to day fish dishes.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky