Cooking a wild hog--Help

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oklahomajoe

Fire Starter
Original poster
Jul 25, 2009
Zachary, La
Ok friends, I have a 50 lb wild hog cleaned and left whole. Plannin on cookin it for the upcoming LSU game. Looking for tips on how to smoke it or if I should cook it another way. I have a cabinet style smoker and I was thinking on hanging it inside, but not sure how that would work, as it smokes and tenderizes Im scared it will fall iside the smoker. Included pic of the smoker for reference. Thanks for any help you can be, on seasoning, sauces, and just a game plan  .

icon_cool.gif

Now if you use a metal rods to hold up the pig you should be alright if you can maintian about 240-250° or so for many an hour it could happen. The smoker look like it will hold it up

If you can maintain enough heat in ya smoke house , There is a real easy way to hang it.

Use chicken wire. Season that pig up real good and wrap fairly tight in chicken wire and hang it in your shack. If you have any hot spots you may need to rotate the pig once or twice during the smoke.

Once it's done ,just grap the wrapped pig ,lay it on a table and cut the wire to open it up.

Joe,

I hate to tell you this, but you can't do a whole pig in that smokehouse. There is too much great looking sausage hanging in there, in the way.

PM me, and I'll give you my address, so you can get rid of it.

Glad to help,

Bear

If you can maintain enough heat in ya smoke house , There is a real easy way to hang it.

Use chicken wire. Season that pig up real good and wrap fairly tight in chicken wire and hang it in your shack. If you have any hot spots you may need to rotate the pig once or twice during the smoke.

Once it's done ,just grap the wrapped pig ,lay it on a table and cut the wire to open it up.
Great solution. Just make sure the chicken wire isn't galvanized.

Baste if often.  Wild hogs have very little fat on them compared to domestic pork.

Also, wild hog, or boar, can be a little gamey.  You might want to put some good rub on it that can mellow the flavor.  Something with a lot of onion and garlic would do good.  Or even som fresh onion and garlic cloves tucked in the meat.  Also, I would try cutting it in 1/2 and placing each on the racks of your smoke house with plenty of water and, as mentioned, spraying it often.  Good luck!  Don't forget to post some pictures of the head with the fangs showing!!!!

Thanks for all the help friends.  If I cant get it to hang right, I'll cut it and lay it on the rack; thanks for the tip Cole, didnt think of that.

And Bear, come on down and make the ride and we'll fire that smoker and make some fresh smoked sausage for ya to take with you.  Just need about a day and plenty of cold beer.

I dont have pics of this hog, it was given to me.  But I'll get yall some pics of the next one I kill.

Thanks again for all the tips guys,

Joe

Thanks for all the help friends.  If I cant get it to hang right, I'll cut it and lay it on the rack; thanks for the tip Cole, didnt think of that.

And Bear, come on down and make the ride and we'll fire that smoker and make some fresh smoked sausage for ya to take with you.  Just need about a day and plenty of cold beer.

I dont have pics of this hog, it was given to me.  But I'll get yall some pics of the next one I kill.

Thanks again for all the tips guys,

Joe
Thanks Joe,

I don't travel too well any more, or I'd take you up on that. My best friend from Ft Hood is from La too (West Monroe). I met him at Hood, we had both already been to 'Nam, and only had about 7 months left in Army. We drank more beer & screwed off more than any 6 guys.............Nuff said....

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky