Converting old freezer in pellet smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Now I was ready for paint!! I was going to use a sprayer but was in a little crunch. I decided to use metallic spray paint and clear coat! Turned out nice metallic really looks good in the sun!

Primer.

6176D3D8-4674-4F36-A684-6EBD3E08868D.jpeg

4CEA1665-4348-43D4-AB08-1B44BECDFAAF.jpeg

Metallic black prepare for stripe
2B5335A7-8E2F-4D02-98B7-569B464C7E4A.jpeg

B1320C2D-6620-45BA-968C-5B766992306A.jpeg

All painted and clear coated!

I was ready to bolt the pellet hopper on for the last time once the paint dried. So close to firing it up now!
E4A52DFB-1A24-4FD6-AA57-55A668CD7AF2.jpeg

Attachments

• D7BF33E1-C521-47BB-966F-3B1DC1E34D59.jpeg
    D7BF33E1-C521-47BB-966F-3B1DC1E34D59.jpeg
    95.7 KB · Views: 20
  • B82D40AE-48E7-4CDC-9E0D-6BA14B4ED5AD.jpeg
    B82D40AE-48E7-4CDC-9E0D-6BA14B4ED5AD.jpeg
    87.7 KB · Views: 21
I got my 4” chimney installed and all my racks in. I was finally ready to fire it up and season it! I seasoned it for 6 hours works amazingly! I started low to get smoke rolling the slowly up to 400 degrees! Holds temps really well with the insulation. I’m very happy with it. I did some sausages and a few burgers, few steaks first time!
0E85891A-D0C3-4736-B5A9-A0F50B3E68F2.jpeg

0B651E07-8019-4DC5-A6B5-9D6B761013E7.jpeg

I got the smoker done just in time to do 4 Boston butts for my brother in laws wedding rehearsal supper! I didn’t get any pictures of them on the smoker but they where awesome! Got a ton of compliments at the rehearsal supper!

One of the butts off the smoker getting ready to wrap!
FBFE1452-5B81-4053-80C3-06D6139A869B.jpeg

Sorry if I kinda jumped around! I’m typing everything on my phone so it takes a lot! I’m very happy how it works and turned out it was a lot of work but so worth it! I hope I get a lot of years of smoking out of it!

I like it Mitch!
Great rebuild!
And it looks like Great returns for all your hard work!
I particularly like the racks. Are those off the shelf grates? Or more you fabricated up?
Looks Great!

Reminds me of a Porcelain Fridge I made into a smoker in Northern California once.

I like it Mitch!
Great rebuild!
And it looks like Great returns for all your hard work!
I particularly like the racks. Are those off the shelf grates? Or more you fabricated up?
Looks Great!

Reminds me of a Porcelain Fridge I made into a smoker in Northern California once.

Hey sonny thanks for the compliments! It was a blast to build and bring back to life!! The racks I found at my local menards. I think they where charbroil brand. They were a little too big for the build so I cut them to fit. I went to menards to grab one more but they put most of the bbq stuff away and replaced it with Christmas stuff. I already missing the warm weather but just have to check the smoker quickly now!
Thanks again!

Got a sticker from a few buddies for Xmas! Been a fun winter smoking with this thing. I did a brisket and a turkey on it for thanksgiving. Been doing jerky, summer sausage, snack sticks. It been working great. Also bought myself a fire board thermometer for Xmas present to myself! Best investment for smoking!!
6BCB54C7-37E6-43A1-AF88-86AB9D11D97B.png
87D1D0EE-15EF-4C5D-86E1-11CA3D6ADAD4.jpeg

Attachments

• 52998067-84F8-46B1-9CE1-84CC6CA80134.jpeg
    52998067-84F8-46B1-9CE1-84CC6CA80134.jpeg
    140.6 KB · Views: 24
Love it, Mitch!
That looks like a well loved and well used smoker!
Love the Bar and Shield the Bro's got for you!

Keep warm! This is the coldest part of the year up there.

Hey guys/gals! I have been doing a lot of research on what my next smoker was going to be. I have been using a traeger tailgater and wsm for quite a few years. I have been getting some of my recipes dialed in on those but was always short on space to make enough for the bigger amounts of guests. I also smoked in a rib competition where we had to cook ribs for the the judges and also to the people attending the rib competition/car show. It was an awesome experience but I was only to smoke 6 racks of ribs while other teams where smoking 20 racks. We took 2nd in the competition but where the first team out of ribs to serve. I was looking at the Yoder smokers they look awesome but a little more then I was looking to spend. So I kept looking and saw that people where building pellet smokers out of old freezer so my search started for an old freezer. It was no easy task, after some time I came across an old freezer for free! So I convinced the wife to jump in the truck and go get it. It wasn’t in the best shape but the guy had already gutted most of the heavy parts because he used it to cold smoke cheese!
That’s all I got for now time for work! I’ll try and get pictures up if I can figure it out!

Very nice! I am building one very similar but mine is a stainless steel cabinet. Did you find it really necessary to have the make up air vent in the bottom? Do you think one smoke stack is enough? I purchased two three inch stacks from Smoke Daddy as well as the hopper assembly.

Very nice! I am building one very similar but mine is a stainless steel cabinet. Did you find it really necessary to have the make up air vent in the bottom? Do you think one smoke stack is enough? I purchased two three inch stacks from Smoke Daddy as well as the hopper assembly.
I find it works best with my build to have the air intake at the bottom. Helps me keep the low temps for jerky and sausage. I’ve cooked a ton of ribs in mine in local competitions and have always kept vent open with no problems also.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky