Control Panel Blues

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chazcampton

Original poster
Aug 17, 2020
Hey all I am new here. I am an avid smoker but I am looking for help from the pros. My Masterbuilt 20078715 control panel is no longer working. It will turn on, but I can’t adjust the time or temp. (I got it really wet with a hose) Is anyone able to assist? I have been checking master built’s website since March 2020 for replacement control panel and it has been out of stock ever since. The part is 9007140017 - Digital Control. If I can’t find a replacement control panel, is there an after market solution to this? Everything works fine and I hate to throw it away! Please help! (I took it apart and tried to dry it out but it didn’t help)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124.9 KB · Views: 52
Last edited:
This is the point where most would switch to PID controller. The most popular in these parts is here https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=110
Bare in mind this model allows programming for multi-temp cooks, which are great for many cooks.

Auber and others offer cheaper models that are not plug and play and will only do one temp at a time(much like the original controller). You will have to source components and complete yourself. Usually the final cost will be as much as just buying the afore- mentioned product.

On first thought it seems stupid to spend $180 to fix a $180 smoker, but what you are actually doing is turning boat anchor smoker (nearly worthless at this point) into a smoker comparable to a $600 (or more) smoker for a $180 investment. Plus the added benefit of lots of knowledgeable folks around here for support should you need it.

This is the point where most would switch to PID controller. The most popular in these parts is here https://www.auberins.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=14_28&products_id=110
Bare in mind this model allows programming for multi-temp cooks, which are great for many cooks.

Auber and others offer cheaper models that are not plug and play and will only do one temp at a time(much like the original controller). You will have to source components and complete yourself. Usually the final cost will be as much as just buying the afore- mentioned product.

On first thought it seems stupid to spend $180 to fix a $180 smoker, but what you are actually doing is turning boat anchor smoker (nearly worthless at this point) into a smoker comparable to a $600 (or more) smoker for a $180 investment. Plus the added benefit of lots of knowledgeable folks around here for support should you need it.
awesome link. Thanks. Will that works for controlling a refrigerator also to maintain 37-39 degrees for extended period of time ?

I have an aftermarket kit that I am selling that you might be interested in.

It is a simple solid state relay switch being run by a temperature controller.

Check out the Tester Forum for more details....

JC :emoji_cat:

I would like to see it but when I click on your link I keep getting this:
Oops! We ran into some problems.
You do not have permission to view this page or perform this action.

• Wow
Reactions: JC in GB
awesome link. Thanks. Will that works for controlling a refrigerator also to maintain 37-39 degrees for extended period of time ?
I have that one , and the manual has a section on refrigeration . Haven't read thru that part though .

I believe it will do refer but is way over kill. You would have to use it in "ON/OFF" mode as the compressor will not respond well to the fast switching of PID mode. For that purpose I would think about a cheaper single temp unit from Inkbird or the like and even then use it in On/Off mode..

hey thank you everyone for the responses! I had set up email alerts and was not getting them. Any way, I am by no means opposed to spending the $180 on this smoker. It is the 40” model so it was more like $250-300?(I think).i have heard of PID controller and I have looked into them. But I am not really sure where to start. I will admit I didn’tspend a lot of time looking at that link yet (I will later) but realistically, how hard is it to do? Secondly, I smoke something about every 1-2 months. In your eyes, would this be worth it? Or should I just replace it? Thanks forall of the comments!!

I guess it depends on you. Like you, I seldom smoke anything. I typically work 7 days a week so a long slow cook is seldom doable. But the thing I was most interested in when I bought it was summer sausage. Those are best served with a multi-step temp cook. On the odd occasion I have time to cook, I don't want to be running out and bumping the temp 10 degrees every hour. I have lots of other things that need doing on that rare day I have off. Also the temp over-runs can screw you with fat-out.
However the PID provides very tight temp control and will allow me to set it for the appropriate times/temps and walk away. Perhaps even go to bed til it's done. Now that opens up a lot of cooking time.
As for easy to do..... https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/mes-rewire-simple-guide-no-back-removal-needed.267069/
It is really easy. Pretty sure my wife could follow those directions and gett'r done ( and she's one that thinks the electricity will leak out if there's no bulb in the socket).

Reactions: JC in GB

I have just updated my controller design. I will send you some pics of the unit tomorrow when I get the new prototype built.

I have been using this style controller on my smokers for years with no issues other than running it below freezing temps. I added a heater for my winter unit. :)

I can customize your controller for your power needs. Let me know how much power you want to control.

JC

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky