Container garden

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Looks like you still need add water everyday?
No sir. This system uses an inexpensive pump to deliver a pre mixed nutrient solution to buckets and then drains back to the tank. I have my tank sized to refill once a week. This is a better pic of a 4 bucket setup without an obstructed view. Perlite is the grow medium with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag to keep things from getting into the drain lines. A reserve of nutrient stays in the bottom of the bucket between timed pump cycles.
0622191927.jpg

Last edited:
A lot depends on what container your using and how hot and sunny it is. Dad was out there everyday anyhow he had between 15 and 20 of the 18 gal totes and about the same number of 5 gal buckets so once things started producing he was picking something about everyday

Reactions: JLeonard
Blacksmith is doing hydroponics different than the self watering containers. My hydroponic system uses two 50 gal tanks and injectors that add the nutrients from the tanks to well water so I only have to mess with that about every 4-6 weeks depending on what I'm growing

Reactions: Blacksmith845
No sir. This system uses an inexpensive pump to deliver a pre mixed nutrient solution to buckets and then drains back to the tank. I have my tank sized to refill once a week. This is a better pic of a 4 bucket setup without an obstructed view. Perlite is the grow medium with a 5 gallon paint strainer bag to keep things from getting into the drain lines. A reserve of nutrient stays in the bottom of the bucket between timed pump cycles.View attachment 487871
What do think of this to start?

Well after looking some more that not a good site to buy from.

Last edited:

[/QUOT

The principle is the same but this appears to more of a deep water culture system?? where the plant is directly in the nutrient solution.I only see the expansion and not the original so I'm just guessing there. This can be a little more fussy but still a great option.

Been watching videos all morning now I am totally confused! I am think I leaning toward just containers with drip system.

The long daylight hours, high heat, high humidity, are all problems down here but the biggest challenge in most parts of FL is the soil. Amending and trying to improve the soil is a never ending project it seems

I’m about 45 mins north of Orlando. The soil, errr sand rather is not easy to deal with. You have to do raised beds, or containers if you want good results. Even with raised beds you lose about an inch or two of good organic material to leeching. After about 20 years down here (from S IL) I’ve had to do lots of research and experimenting with turning out good produce.

I've thought about going hydroponic, but I currently just use potting mix, large tubs, and a drip system on our sprinkler timer.
I went out this morning and looked around to get a feel for what it will cost. Not cheap. Just the potting soil cost a few bucks. Got to know one of our farmers pretty good. Going over Wednesday to buy some plants from them.

I wonder about using Sterilite containers? Being square might not tip over.
WalMart. 9 bucks. You can fit 5 plants in one. They are 17 gallon. They have little latches to keep the lid attached as well.

Attachments

• 59206C24-5C8F-423D-A10E-490279CA4E5B.jpeg
    59206C24-5C8F-423D-A10E-490279CA4E5B.jpeg
    198.5 KB · Views: 5
Reactions: JLeonard
About any kind of container will work but some will last a lot longer than others. Buy a good one and have it last years or buy cheap and replace often.
If your not doing self watering or hydroponic and instead are doing something like a drip irrigation system you can use about anything sometimes you can buy used pots from a nursery I've seen everything from 3 gal to 100 gal used.

About any kind of container will work but some will last a lot longer than others. Buy a good one and have it last years or buy cheap and replace often.
If your not doing self watering or hydroponic and instead are doing something like a drip irrigation system you can use about anything sometimes you can buy used pots from a nursery I've seen everything from 3 gal to 100 gal used.
I wiil check that out. I going over farmers in couple hours after I get my first shot. Looks like I really need a bout 10 gallon for tomato's. I still not sure going to do this. Time get everything going to be fairly expensive. Take one bag of soil just for one planter.

Brian it costs some money to get started but you can use the soil and pots, etc more than one year.
You could always take a soil sample from the ground where you think you could have a garden and see what the results are. Maybe your soil is good for growing you never know. Many states have County Extension Offices and can help you with info and what steps to take. If you happen to not have Extension Agents try checking with colleges in your state many do research and again can at the least point you in the right direction.
I know there are places with very good soil for growing but honestly I haven't seen one and when you start trying to amend the soil it's usually expensive and never ending.

Well got some tomato plants from this farm out in the country. They had some stuff never heard of. Some other farmers I get my vegs from were there and since I going to Florida they going to baby sit them for me. I home can talk them out of a patty squash plant when pick up. Got drip system ordered. Get back home look for containers, soil fertilizer and more plants. Any tips are welcome. Will be doing herbs and peppers with tomato. I thinking 5 gallon for Hybrid, cherry and 10 gallon for purple heirloom.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky