Complete "Authentic" Enchilada Dinner

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokinhusker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
Fpmich posted a request in Sauces, Rubs and Marinades in his quest to create an authentic Tex Mex BBQ Sauce for a fellow Army Vet friend with Huntington's Disease, for which there is no cure.

http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/149976/tex-mex-bbq-spare-rib-sauce

In the thread he gladly shared his recipe, he created for this dear friend, for a complete Enchilada Dinner because he couldn't find the appropriate forum to post it in. Since the filling does have ground beef, I have opted to "copy" the recipe here as well in hopes more people will find it. 

Complete Enchilada Dinner (Yields 6 dinners)

Refried Beans  from scratch (Yield: 6-7 cups)
First the soup
1 lb. Dry Pinto, or Black Beans
1 tsp. Marjoram or Oregano
2 tsp. Black Pepper
2 tsp. Salt, added during last 1/2 hour of cooking soup

Sort & remove debris. Place in pan of water, swish to rinse, and remove any floating beans. Drain water, & refill to 3X level of the beans. Soak overnight. Rinse beans next day & add water to about 1" above beans & bring to simmer in heavy pot (Dutch oven), Cover bring to boil on high heat.Put in pot 275* F oven for 1 ½ to 2 hours, You can cook in crock pot on high for about 3-5 hours. Check water level either method, to keep beans just barely covered while cooking. Test Beans. Squeeze 3-4 beans from different areas. If all are soft & tender, they’re done. If even just one is a little hard, cook longer.

Needed for 1 lb of cooked beans.
4-6 Tbsp. Bacon Grease
2 Tbsp. Real Butter (‘Not’ Margarine)

Refried part  is best done in smaller batches. (Just divide beans, grease & butter amounts)
Heat bacon grease in heavy pan on med high, until quite hot, but not smoking. Ladle beans into pan with juice keeping juice below top of beans. Bring to low boil & using a fork or potato masher, mash beans half way, leaving chunks & some whole beans. Reduce heat to low & stir to prevent scorching. Add bean broth if too thick, or more drained beans if too thin. Cook until slightly thinner than you prefer. They’ll thicken on plate. Stir in butter at end, & serve. Freeze any leftover bean soup for next time.

Mexican Rice (Yield: 4 ½ -5 cups )
---Spices---
1 cube. Chicken Bouillon
1 tsp. Paprika, smoked, or regular
½ tsp. Chili Powder
½ tsp. Black Pepper
½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes*Optional*
½ tsp. Dried Cilantro *Optional*
---End Spices---
Put spices and bullion cube Spices in small bowl.

2 ½ Tbsp. Butter
1 sm. Onion, diced
1 clove. Garlic, diced small
1 ½ cups. Rice, dry, uncooked

In heavy skillet over med, to med high, melt butter well and add onions and garlic and dry rice. Stirring constantly for 5 to 10 minutes, toasting rice until tan or light brown.

Add all spices plus,
1 ½ cups. Diced Tomatoes, or salsa, drained
1 ½ cups. Tomato juice or water combined and stir it well.

Bring back to simmer, then turn down heat to "very low". Cover, and let low simmer undisturbed 25-30 minutes. Remove from heat, leaving it covered, and let stand at least 10 minutes or more. Then uncover, and gently with fluff with chopsticks, skewers, or meat fork, before serving.
Do not scrape bottom if stuck!
Freezes well.

Enchiladas (Yields 6)

Meat Filling:

---Spices---
1 tsp. Black Pepper
¾ tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika, hot or mild
½ tsp. Oregano
1 tsp. Cilantro *Optional*
---End Spices---
Combine Spices in small bowl.

1 lb. Lean Ground Beef (85/15 or 90/10)
1 lg. Onion, diced medium
2-3 cloves. Garlic, diced fine
8 oz. Green Chilies, drained, mild or hot
2 cubes. Beef Bouillon

Dice onion & garlic while browning meat.
Brown & break up meat in skillet on med high heat until pink is gone and water evaporates mostly. Drain off excess grease, if any. Add onions, garlic, chilies, beef bouillon, and spices. Cook and stir occasionally until most of the moisture is gone, but not too dry. Remove to bowl until assembly.

Mexican Red Sauce:
---Spices---
1 tsp. Smoked Paprika, hot or mild
1 tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Cumin
1 tsp. Black Pepper
½ tsp. Red Pepper Flakes
1 tsp. Dried Cilantro *Optional*
---End spices---
Combine Spices in small bowl.

2 Tbsp. Bacon Grease
½ stick. Butter (¼ cup)
¼ cup. Flour
3 cubes. Beef Bouillon
2 ¼ cups. Water +/-

Directions:
Over med. high heat, in same skillet meat was cooked in, melt grease & butter until foam settles a bit. Add spices, bouillon, & stir 1 min. Sprinkle in flour, stirring quickly and constantly for 3-4 min. After 3-4 minutes of cooking the flour, add the water, a little at a time, & whisk constantly, 4-5 minutes to remove any lumps. Cover & simmer on low for 5-6 minutes. Then uncover and continue to simmer until you have a thin, to medium thin, sauce. Will coat back of spoon well. Add water and cook a minute if too thick. Remove from heat to cool.

Assembly:  Preheat oven to 350* F.

Needed:
12-16 oz. Shredded Cheddar Cheese.
6 - 8 Lg. Tortillas

Add 4 to 6 oz. of cheese with the cooled meat in bowl & mix.
Using a large platter to work on, coat tortilla's, on both sides, or dip in sauce, to coat. Approximately 1/3 from bottom, mound & press meat about 1" high and wide, across the tortilla to within 1" of ends. Gently, but firmly, roll it up and place flap side down, in a well greased 9" or 10" wide baking dish. Continue until dish is full (about 6-8 enchiladas).   Top with remaining cheese to your liking, & spoon leftover sauce over top of that. Bake uncovered 30-35 min. @ 350* F. Let rest 10-15 minutes before serving.
Freezes well, but put extra sauce on ones to be frozen. Reheat from frozen, covered, in 350* F. oven about 50-60 minutes. Remove cover for last 15 min. Or nuke on high until hot. Either way, when hot and bubbly, it’s ready!

Plate enchilada in middle of plate, with rice and beans on opposite sides. Garnish as you wish.

--*Garnishes*--
Shredded Lettuce. Tomato, diced. Avocado, fan sliced or diced, chopped green onion, and a dollop or two of Sour Cream, Crema, or Creme Fraiche. Salsa is a good thing too!

Change any spice, meat,  or ingredient to your liking.  I see no reason this can't be made on a grill or smoker.

Enjoy!  Ricky did!

When he saw me pull out the baking dishes from the box, and started plating it up, he said "OH YEAH!  That's what I wanted!"

Reactions: disco
I'll have to try the sauce. I'm usually too lazy and use store bought. We like using shredded smoked chicken or pulled pork in our enchiladas.

Oooooo.....just on Lynn's last TDY.....he was talking about how good the refried beans were and wanted me to find out how to do them from scratch....You showed me!  Gonna do this!

Thanks Alesia!

Kat

Not trying to grab attention to myself.  It's not even my recipe.

Just wanted you all to know how this recipe came about.  It didn't come about from just me wanting a recipe.  I wanted an authentic recipe, for a certain person.  I also did not create this recipe on my own.  I got it from YouTube as a basis.

I made it for a special friend, and fellow Vet, who is now in a nursing home.  He's from Texas, and needless to say, he doesn't get much down home food in the nursing home in Michigan.

You can read about Ricky here in the original thread.

Thanks again Alesia, for posting this in a recipe forum.

Last edited:
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky