Competition Style Brisket (Q-View)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Actually, the smoke ring is pretty much ignored (really and truly - I've judged in FBA and KCBS and most judges will admire a nice ring but don't pay much attention) and the guys and gals that really compete don't worry about "false positives" with smoke ring. Temperature, humidity, type of wood, all play a part in a nice smoke ring -- doesn't do squat for flavor.

It's the challenge of the tender slice.

That I did not know, I honestly thought the smoke ring counted.  I have to call you on the ring not doing squat for flavor, But understandably people can and do taste foods in different ways.  In my experience the ring is always rich in flavor.. Closer to the center there was less smoky taste.  This goes for any meat that I have smoked.  I'm happy to have joined this community there's a smorgasbord of information that just today has influenced the smoking I'm going to do tomorrow.

Actually, the smoke ring is pretty much ignored (really and truly - I've judged in FBA and KCBS and most judges will admire a nice ring but don't pay much attention) and the guys and gals that really compete don't worry about "false positives" with smoke ring. Temperature, humidity, type of wood, all play a part in a nice smoke ring -- doesn't do squat for flavor.

It's the challenge of the tender slice.

Yea I am with you on this one. This is my Brisket above in the thread; I have done quite well in my Brisket and consider it my strong category.

Things I look for when doing a completion style brisket.
  • Texture is very important to a judge or at least a good seasoned judge that knows the ins and outs. The brisket should have a slight elastic feel to it when tugged on when holding each side of the slice just before it pulls apart
  • Should be tender and almost melt in your mouth
  • Smoke ring and color
  • Slice size should be around as thick as a pencil
And I agree good Brisket does not need sauce, but I also know to each their own and no one way to serve it is the best way… The best way is how we each enjoy it.  

Yea I am with you on this one. This is my Brisket above in the thread; I have done quite well in my Brisket and consider it my strong category.

Things I look for when doing a completion style brisket.
  • Texture is very important to a judge or at least a good seasoned judge that knows the ins and outs. The brisket should have a slight elastic feel to it when tugged on when holding each side of the slice just before it pulls apart
  • Should be tender and almost melt in your mouth
  • Smoke ring and color
  • Slice size should be around as thick as a pencil
And I agree good Brisket does not need sauce, but I also know to each their own and no one way to serve it is the best way… The best way is how we each enjoy it.  

Another question.  Do you smoke a whole brisket or one of those "flat cuts"  cause when I get up in the morning (probably around 5:30 or 6AM) I have a whole brisket that will be pummeled with slowness all day.  probably till the kids go back to bed for school.  I'm seriously interested in the competition aspect of BBQ.  I've always wanted to participate in one.

th_HaHAAHaa.gif
 gawd dat looks scrumptious!!

Rich

Another question.  Do you smoke a whole brisket or one of those "flat cuts"  cause when I get up in the morning (probably around 5:30 or 6AM) I have a whole brisket that will be pummeled with slowness all day.  probably till the kids go back to bed for school.  I'm seriously interested in the competition aspect of BBQ.  I've always wanted to participate in one.
I have used both but for the most part I smoke the whole brisket which has both the flat and the point. You should do a comp they are Sooo much fun I think.  

Comp briskets are not like other briskets,

Not to mention the things they do to comp chicken.

There are things you do to meat in a comp that people wouldn't believe.

Yours looks great Nit 
drool.gif

Comp briskets are not like other briskets,

Not to mention the things they do to comp chicken.

There are things you do to meat in a comp that people wouldn't believe.

Yours looks great Nit 
drool.gif
OK. that caught my attention. do tell Raptor. I'm very interested. PM if necessary, thanks...James

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky