Competition questions

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

chisoxjim

Master of the Pit
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 25, 2007
This summer I am doing a couple local backyard style competitions, non KCBS events.

I have a question for folks and the how they present their ribs specifically, How many bones per judge, and hot do you cut them, individually, or in 2 or 3 bone segments partially cut?

I would appreciate any guidance on this question.

Just gonna bump up your question, since I was curious about some of the answers myself
icon_mrgreen.gif

Cut them in single rib pieces. 1 rib per judge. You can put extras in the box if you like.

I've only judged one comp. There are 5 judges per table & the rules stated a minimum of 6 individual pieces. This is done so the last judge still has a choice. Although only 6 were required, all the boxes on my table had between 10-12 "bones". The ones I saw on the other tables looked to have similar quantity. If I were competing, I would not want to be the only box on the table with the minimum # and all the other twice as many as mine.

good info,

the 1st competition I am doing at the end of may has 6 judges. Items are: ribs, chicken, pork, and burgers. Only 7 hours to do all the items so no pork butt/shoulder. Non-KCBS event so the entree fee was only $25 to enter all categories.. With cash prizes for 1st-3rd place and a grand champion cash prize and trophy.

2nd competition at the end of the summer is 3 judges, Items are ribs and a wild card item.

Based on the info here and some other sources I will probably figure on 2 bones per judge, or enough to fill the container.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky