Commercial Seasonings

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

johnh12

Meat Mopper
Original poster
Dec 22, 2016
NE Florida
Just got some feral pig sausage from a processor. They said the seasoning was AC Leggs #10 and it was great. I was surprised at the bite it had so I don't know if they added any heat or not.
I have about 20# of deboned mixed pig and venison that I want to turn into sausage.
There is a hot version available but don't know if it would be too much.
Does anyone have experience with the hot version or should I just add a bit of cayenne to the #10 mix?

Thanks. I think I'll try half regular and half hot.
The prices locally vary from less than $3 a pack to over $6 and even more on Amazon.
Naturally the cheapest is farthest from the house.

Reactions: JC in GB
On their #7 blend they list red pepper as ingredient number 2 which means it's the primary ingredient after salt and along with black pepper might be a bit hot for some tastes.

Does anyone know the sodium content of the #6 and #7 blends? With salt listed as the first ingredient, I'm assuming it's pretty salty and you'd have to be careful when making less than 25 pounds of sausage. I suppose you could weigh it out in grams and subdivide it into one pound portions.

All Leggs seasoning packs are on clearance sale right now at the local grocer....$1.59/pk. They have #10, #9, #6, and #7...with a few #25. I never buy pre-made season packs, but this is a great deal for those that use them.

The salt should be the same across all the seasoning pks. Just the peppers and other seasonings are varied.

Yes, ratio out the weigh to get grams per lb. that is what I do and it works well.

All Leggs seasoning packs are on clearance sale right now at the local grocer....$1.59/pk. They have #10, #9, #6, and #7...with a few #25. I never buy pre-made season packs, but this is a great deal for those that use them.

The salt should be the same across all the seasoning pks. Just the peppers and other seasonings are varied.

Yes, ratio out the weigh to get grams per lb. that is what I do and it works well.
Too bad they're not on sale here in NE Florida.

wow, that is a steal and even if you didnt use them as mixed, it would be a nice starter to add to as you like. I doubt we can mix our own up for that cheap a price.

Pulling this up from way back to ask a quick question. I have a bag of a commercial seasoning.mix I bought back during the winter. It's been kept at room temp and dry and is unopened but has gone hard. It's like one big clump. Just wondering if it can still be used? Breaking g it up and/or dissolving it in the called for water are easy enough, just was 't sure if anything could be bad since it's so hardened without being open.

Pulling this up from way back to ask a quick question. I have a bag of a commercial seasoning.mix I bought back during the winter. It's been kept at room temp and dry and is unopened but has gone hard. It's like one big clump. Just wondering if it can still be used? Breaking g it up and/or dissolving it in the called for water are easy enough, just was 't sure if anything could be bad since it's so hardened without being open.
LP, Nothing wrong with it ,just mix it back up to loosen it up.

Reactions: larryp
Larry.. when my seasonings get hard like that I will break it up enough to put it in my spice/coffee grinder... I'll grind up enough that I need for that particular batch...

Reactions: larryp
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky