Collard Greens

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

BGKYSmoker

Nepas OTBS #242
Original poster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Dec 25, 2010
Rineyville, KY
Been forever since i made collards.

Here is a 2 pound batch today.

Soak the collards, replace the water 3 times to get off any dirt or bugs.
cg4.JPG

Dice and cook some onion. Set aside. 1 med
cg.JPG

Dice 6 slices of bacon and cook crispy.
cg1.JPG

cg2.JPG

soften the onion in the bacon grease, set aside.
cg3.JPG

when the collards are clean, cut and remove the middle stem.
cg5.JPG

Roll the leaves and cut into 3/4" slices. Add to stok pot, add bacon, onions,2 T diced garlic and 2 T butter to the greens
cg6.JPG

Cook down the greens to wilt some.
cg7.JPG

Add salt, pepper, chicken broth 1.5 cups. and 2T apple cider vinegar. cover the pot
ch10.JPG

Simmer on low for 45mins to 1 hour or until the greens are soft.
cg8.JPG

Make any salt/pepper adjustment to your taste.
collards will cook way down
cg9.JPG

Looks good. Never tried them thou. I dont really like green things. LOL

Yes i always have a couple bottles of the trappys peppers. I cant shake it in the whole batch as my wife dont do much hot so i just do my bowl.

Thanks everyone

I have cooked collards all my life and we love them dearly. I have tried many, many different recipes, but here's the only way that I cook them now and other than a little bit more red pepper flakes, I make them exactly like this. Only other difference is that I use my own leftover smoked turkey instead of store bought.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky