Collagen casing vs Fibrous casing for the best smoke penetration ?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

poacherjoe

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 7, 2019
Central Ca
I recently made my first batch of ring bologna using PS seasoning red barn bologna and their 43mm collagen round casings. I also used Mountain Mahogany for the wood smoke. I have made this before using 2.5" x 24 fibrous casings . The smoke flavor was great on the fibrous casings and not so good on the collagen casings. Why didn't the smoke penetrate the collagen casings as well as it did the fibrous casings ?

only what I could think of smoke not penetrating collagen casing would be too hot smoke temp so collagen casing surface dried up and closed up pores to fast halting smoke penetration...

Thanks but I do the step method with sausage and bologna .Hung at room temp for 3 hours then Started at 120 for 1 hour with no smoke then go up 10 degree's every hour with smoke till it gets to 170 and keep it there till IT gets to 153 degree's then ice bath and dry. The collagen just seemed to be a vapor barrier

Fibrous casings are porous and allow the smoke to penetrate into the meat. But, they are not as porous/permeable as collagen casings or natural casings (which are the most permeable).

Don't have the answer for you but am dealing with similar issues using collagen casings. I think we are both dealing with some case hardening/drying. In my case I see a real bad stall and IT doesn't budge. Still working on it. My runs with fibrous are fine...

I bought some of those cloth bags and from what other members are telling me they are great and stuff the same way. I think you could even hand stuff them if you didn't have a stuffer.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky