• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.

Collagen casing vs Fibrous casing for the best smoke penetration ?

poacherjoe

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 7, 2019
I recently made my first batch of ring bologna using PS seasoning red barn bologna and their 43mm collagen round casings. I also used Mountain Mahogany for the wood smoke. I have made this before using 2.5" x 24 fibrous casings . The smoke flavor was great on the fibrous casings and not so good on the collagen casings. Why didn't the smoke penetrate the collagen casings as well as it did the fibrous casings ?

dernektambura

Smoking Fanatic
Joined Oct 12, 2017
only what I could think of smoke not penetrating collagen casing would be too hot smoke temp so collagen casing surface dried up and closed up pores to fast halting smoke penetration...

poacherjoe

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 7, 2019
Thanks but I do the step method with sausage and bologna .Hung at room temp for 3 hours then Started at 120 for 1 hour with no smoke then go up 10 degree's every hour with smoke till it gets to 170 and keep it there till IT gets to 153 degree's then ice bath and dry. The collagen just seemed to be a vapor barrier

SFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
Fibrous casings are porous and allow the smoke to penetrate into the meat. But, they are not as porous/permeable as collagen casings or natural casings (which are the most permeable).

zwiller

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
Joined Nov 16, 2016
Don't have the answer for you but am dealing with similar issues using collagen casings. I think we are both dealing with some case hardening/drying. In my case I see a real bad stall and IT doesn't budge. Still working on it. My runs with fibrous are fine...

SFLsmkr1

Epic Pitmaster
Staff member
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Group Lead
Joined Dec 25, 2010
My wife makes the cloth bags from un bleached muslin cloth. I need to use them more.

poacherjoe

Meat Mopper
Joined Nov 7, 2019
I bought some of those cloth bags and from what other members are telling me they are great and stuff the same way. I think you could even hand stuff them if you didn't have a stuffer.

Winterrider

Master of the Pit
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Joined Sep 29, 2018
do you use these like the fibrous and collagen casings, may have to give these a try.
Used them instead of the fibrous casings when I did my last batch of summer sausage. You can really pack these tight without a blowout. Took on a lot more smoke flavor. Gonna do again soon.

Hot Threads

Top Bottom
  AdBlock Detected

We noticed that you're using an ad-blocker, which could block some critical website features. For the best possible site experience please take a moment to disable your AdBlocker.