Colfax Persimmon Festival (last event of 2012!)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solaryellow

Master of the Pit
Original poster
SMF Premier Member
Jul 26, 2009
Orlando, FL
We wrapped up our 2012 season yesterday with the Colfax Persimmon Festival. Looking back over the past 3 months, we have averaged one event every other weekend. It will be nice to get my weekends and evenings back so I can get to making some sausage. :biggrin:

Our crew has really gelled over the last few events which afforded me an opportunity to snap some pics.

We arrived about 8am and got the smoker set up, fired it up, and began getting our area organized. It takes about an hour to fully get up to temp.

We finally established an account with a local wholesaler. Some of their prices are better while some aren't compared to Sam's Club. The real value is that they will deliver any order more than $300. It was very nice not having to be at Sam's at the asscrack of dawn to shop before everyone else does. It was also nice not needing 3 vehicles to transport all of the food, drinks, supplies, etc. Sorry Sam's, we will still use you for the smaller events.

102 lbs of brisket and 261 lbs of boston butt loaded on and getting what it rightfully deserves.

On Fridays we usually do a friends and family dinner for ourselves. We also pick one new thing to experiment. We decided to do baby back ribs for dinner and the new thing was something we are calling "Shorty's Taters". One of my employees gave me the idea to do mashed potatoes on the smoker. The first iteration came out really well. The event staff and property owner had dinner with us which led to this:

The next morning we had fried eggs and corned beef hash for breakfast that we made on the smoker. We then steeled ourselves for the day's craziness.

Butts and beans.

Smoked no boil mac and cheese. This has become our best selling side item.

We were positioned right next to the stage and got to hear some great bands all day. It made the day that much more enjoyable.

Still have to unpack the Burb, but I am looking forward to some relaxation.

Cool beans Joel

Way to wrap up a great season of some good Q

first.gif

Reactions: solaryellow
good deal Joel.. sounds like everything went well... you know I like picture number 4 (that's why he posted it)...lol... So now that your season is over you can make some sausage this week and bring it with you to the S.FL Gathering.... oh yea, don't forget to pick Joe up on the way... LOL...

Looks like a nice event hope y'all did well. Does this mean I'll actually see you in chat once in awhile
biggrin.gif

good deal Joel.. sounds like everything went well... you know I like picture number 4 (that's why he posted it)...lol... So now that your season is over you can make some sausage this week and bring it with you to the S.FL Gathering.... oh yea, don't forget to pick Joe up on the way... LOL...

You are exactly right Keith. :biggrin:

I wish I could, but there is still some cleanup that needs to happen.

Looks like a nice event hope y'all did well. Does this mean I'll actually see you in chat once in awhile :biggrin:

It means exactly that. Prepare to be annoyed. :yahoo:

Congrats on a great season Joel. hope it was profitable for ya

We did alright Dan. Thumbs Up

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky