Cold weather cooking

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
So this is my "latte" level advise, cause this advise and $3:50 will get you a latte:) While I haven't tried the indoor smoke removal system others have suggested ( which could be great if you don't mind a little smoke aroma ) I have been grilling and smoking in Midwest winters for a while now. I'd have to second that wind is more of a factor than ambient temp when it comes to keeping a constant temp. If I had the space my solution would be to build a simple small outhouse sized wooden shed for my smoker to be used in the winter that would have a vent on top and a bottom intake that could in turn double as a cold smokehouse when needed. It's a little more involved than a wind break but allows for smoker storage when not in use as well as gives you another cooking option. Again just my untested advice based on previous building experiences and lots of research on this site. Good luck

So this is my "latte" level advise, cause this advise and $3:50 will get you a latte:) While I haven't tried the indoor smoke removal system others have suggested ( which could be great if you don't mind a little smoke aroma ) I have been grilling and smoking in Midwest winters for a while now. I'd have to second that wind is more of a factor than ambient temp when it comes to keeping a constant temp. If I had the space my solution would be to build a simple small outhouse sized wooden shed for my smoker to be used in the winter that would have a vent on top and a bottom intake that could in turn double as a cold smokehouse when needed. It's a little more involved than a wind break but allows for smoker storage when not in use as well as gives you another cooking option. Again just my untested advice based on previous building experiences and lots of research on this site. Good luck
If I were you I would go for it...Sounds like a sound idea!

John

This is the fan I use to blow the smoke out through the screen wall of my screen room:

http://www.laskoproducts.com/model-4914/

It's a high velocity blower style fan, that I bought it at Lowes. I position it as far inside my screen room as I can on the floor and against the interior wall, and aim it so it's blowing upward and outward towards the exhaust stack of the smoker/grill which is right up against the screen wall. It blows the bulk of the smoke out through the screen wall. However, it's still really cold out there in the screen room but that doesn't affect my well insulated ceramic smoker/grill. When I stand between the fan and the smoker/grill I often get chilled by the cold breeze - wind chill I guess! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky