Cold Smoking with a Masterbuilt 30" smokehouse using the element?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

oink

Original poster
Nov 11, 2013
I just got a new Masterbuilt 30" for Christmas and I have been really wanting to cold smoke some sausage and salmon in it. And of course as you guys all know the coolest temp. that can be achieved with the smoker is 100 degrees. Would if I turned on the element and once it started heating up and generating some smoke I turned it off before it got over 80 degrees inside? Would this work well instead of buying an attachment or AMNPS? And I figured if you can use an AMNPS you could you any metal mesh that could pellets but I am new at cold smoking and have no clue! Thanks for any advice you can give!

I have the same smoker. It will not cold smoke with the element. I use an AMNPS.

You can use a pan with chips and a 25 watt soldering iron. Be careful to watch the plastic handle. It might melt.

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Just a suggestion, but rather than trying to reinvent the wheel, do yourself a favor and get the AMNPS.  You will not regret it, I promise.

(I am NOT a paid spokesperson for the AMNPS, just a very satisfied customer!)

The MES will only generate continuous smoke at 180°+. Cold Smoking in the MES is the whole reason Todd invented the AMNS and AMNPS...JJ

Last edited:
Thanks a bunch guys, I figured that the AMNPS was the best way to go. What do you guys think of the cold smoke generators that you could hook up to the MES?

With the AMPS, you can cold smoke in a cardboard box....... Such a deal.... It's versatile beyond any other smoke generator......

Will do. I'm going to try smoking some salmon and sausage and will let everyone know how it goes with some Q views

I just smoked a bunch of cheese yesterday with my AMNPS. Turned out perfect. 

By the way, if you have a new MES, I think you would find that the AMNPS is the perfect complement for it. I have a MES30, and I hardly ever use my MES without the AMNPS. I am also not a paid spokesperson - just a very satisfied customer. I would recommend getting the kind that will burn both pellets and sawdust. 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky