Cold smoking when it’s hot, hot, hot.

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

cooker613

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 12, 2017
Arizona
I have my new amazen pellet smoker ready, got a nice side of salmon, ready to make lox. But...it’s been about 109 here in Phoenix and is expected to stay in the 100+ degree range. Are there any special steps or techniques I should employ to keep my temps in proper range when it’s so hot?
Thanks

All I've read is filling the water pan with ice. Which If it's over 90 I'm not sure will do much good, was wondering this my self!

Ice by itself could lead to moisture. I usually use frozen quart soda bottles.

Chris

I use frozen 1 gallon jugs, but in that heat I doubt you will be able to keep the smoker temp under 90 degrees, which is where you need to be for lox.
Al

Thanks guys. That was just the kind of help I needed. I think as next week it will be in the mid 90’s and in the 70’s at night, there could be a late night smoking in my future. I’ll try to remember to document my efforts.

Pellets create quite a bit of heat.... Dust doesn't create near the heat as pellets...
Try turning your pellets into dust... I have done it and it works very well... The dust gives off less smoke but it burns longer so #/# I think the smoke is close to the same...
With dust, you can start the smoke about midnight and let it go through to the morning... I have done that... waiting until the evening temp drops...
Below is how I made dust from pellets....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/making-dust-from-pellets.271863/

Pellets create quite a bit of heat.... Dust doesn't create near the heat as pellets...
Try turning your pellets into dust... I have done it and it works very well... The dust gives off less smoke but it burns longer so #/# I think the smoke is close to the same...
With dust, you can start the smoke about midnight and let it go through to the morning... I have done that... waiting until the evening temp drops...
Below is how I made dust from pellets....

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/making-dust-from-pellets.271863/
Excellent idea. But I’m not sure I could talk my wife into letting me use the food processor.

Wet dissolved pellets break apart in the water.. Tell her it's time for a new blender... use something old and keep it... Get her a new something....

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky