Cold Smoking in the snow

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokeybo

Fire Starter
Original poster
Apr 10, 2018
Planned on smoking another dozen slabs (5lbs bellies) next weekend but it seems everything east of Dallas will be under snow.

I guess this is a continuation of that too cold so smoke thread. I don't like to add heat to my smokes because I've noticed the meat will sweat and I don't think that's good for the process.

Screenshot-20210211-221517.png

The up north gang is waiting for it to warm up to cold smoke.
Ain't that the truth! Sorry I cannot cold smoke because the meat will freeze! I actually have some cured bacon to smoke but may wait till next weekend. Hot smoking has definitely added some time to the usual.

can you freeze the cured bellies and smoke them later?

how about putting a single incandescent bulb in the smoker to generate some heat?
Way too much snow (over a foot) and far too cold now negative with wind chill.
I'll just wait another week.
It'll make 18/19 days in cur dry cure instead of 12.
A year or two ago I went on a last minute vacation and forgot about the bellies and they were in the cure for ~3 weeks total. It hurt nothing.

But when I asked here it was suggested I just rinse then freeze the bellies and thaw when I was ready to cold smoke

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky