Cold smoking a little salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crankybuzzard

Smoking Guru
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Jan 4, 2014
Montague County, TX
Woke up to 10 degrees this morning, so it's definitely cold smoke time here.

2 days ago I picked up a wild caught salmon filet from our local fish market. It weighed in at just over 3 pounds.

Trimmed off the belly and the tail to hot smoke for the bride and then covered the big filet with a mixture of kosher salt, brown sugar, and a wee bit of white pepper.

Cured in the frig for around 24 hours and a LOT of moisture was pulled out.

Rinsed it off, tasted good, so into the frig for pellicle formation overnight. Didn't get pics, but it's in the smoker now ginning along at 54 degrees with sugar maple smoke.

Probe 3 is the ambient temp outside. It's now up to 24 outside. Probe 1 and 2 are top inside temp and grate temp.

More later (about 8-10 hours)

Thanks...That's about what I use too...Just curious...I like to keep up on what everybody's doing...Some of the recipes I get here are amazing...
Seems like I got something new to try all the time...

Thanks...That's about what I use too...Just curious...I like to keep up on what everybody's doing...Some of the recipes I get here are amazing...
Seems like I got something new to try all the time...

This place will put some weight on you for sure! :laugh1:

Looking good.....   What else you got in there ????   Looks like biltong ....  or maybe fish trimmings......

For us newbies to cold smoking we would appreciate a quick run down on what you have in the smoker. I am like you as I want to do more than just one thing. Life is too short to only smoke one "something" at a time. But, the meat is too expensive to screw it up...at least screw it up too badly. Clearly you had a package deal figured out. 

Good morning all.

I did maximize my smoke for sure. 3# salmon went 22 hours, biltong smoked for 8, and the cheese smoked for 4.

Highest temp in the pit was around 65, and that was when the sun was shining full on the front door. Average temp was 54 for the duration.

Salmon is resting, ill slice it when the bride gets up.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky