Cold smoked turkey burger manicotti

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

dirtsailor2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
Oct 4, 2012
Bend Oregon
Yep that's right, cold smoked some turkey burger yesterday. It was only 12°f outside so I thought I'd take advantage of the balmy weather and cold smoke some turkey burger. The ambient temp in the smoker never got above 36°f. Used the 12" amnts loaded with apple pellets. Cold smoked for 1 1/2 hours. This gave the meat a nice mellow smoke. Immediately following the cold smoke I browned the meat with onions, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, salt and pepper. While all that was going on I boiled the manicotti noodles. You don't want these to go super soft makes it easier to stuff without blowouts. 6-8 minutes in a rolling boil is about the right amount of time. Also while browning the meat mix up the cheesus. I used about 2 cups part skim ricotta, 2 cups grated mozzarella, and about a 1/2 cup Parmesan, chopped fresh parsley, oregano, salt ,pepper garlic. Once the meat mixture is browned remove from the heat and allow to cool. One it has cooled down a bit mix into the cheese mixture. In a 9x13 or larger casserole dish put a layer of sauce (can use marinara, spaghetti, or a white sauce) covering the bottom of the dish. Stuff the manicotti as full as you can with the cheese and meat mixture, place into the dish, repeat until done. Cover the pasta with more sauce, grated Parmesan, and fresh chopped parsley. Cover with foil and put into pre-heated 350° oven for 40 minutes or until heated through. I like to take the foil off for the last 10-15 minutes and hit with some more Parmesan.

Ready for the Oven!

ENJOY!!!!

Reactions: seenred
Looks delicious, Case. Good idea to use the current cold snap to cold smoke meat that doesn't have Cure #1 in it.

And this is perfect weather for a hearty pasta dish. Yum!

Looks delicious, Case. Good idea to use the current cold snap to cold smoke meat that doesn't have Cure #1 in it.

And this is perfect weather for a hearty pasta dish. Yum!
Thanks Clarissa! I wish I had some Ahi or other sushi grade tuna right now to do the same with. Then a light sear, oh yeah!!!

You knocked it out of the park again, Case!  Good idea and a great recipe.  Looks and sounds delicious.  I'm putting this one in the "to do" file.

points.gif

Red

Really nice Case. Manicotti !!! I know its delicious but those colors are so bright and crisp, I would say its too pretty to eat but we all know I'd be lying.

Boy, Italian sounds so good too.

Ok, you D'man. 

Thanks for the inspiration.

You knocked it out of the park again, Case!  Good idea and a great recipe.  Looks and sounds delicious.  I'm putting this one in the "to do" file.

points.gif

Red

Really nice Case. Manicotti !!! I know its delicious but those colors are so bright and crisp, I would say its too pretty to eat but we all know I'd be lying.

Boy, Italian sounds so good too.

Ok, you D'man. 

Thanks for the inspiration.

Is there any better comfort food than this? I think not. Great job Case.

Disco
Thanks!! we are finally getting winter here! today it is 2°f!!! BRRRRRR!!! They are saying that we could get 12"-26" of snow by tomorrow evening!!! Think we'll be staying indoors!

Yep that's right, cold smoked some turkey burger yesterday. It was only 12°f outside so I thought I'd take advantage of the balmy weather and cold smoke some turkey burger. The ambient temp in the smoker never got above 36°f. Used the 12" amnts loaded with apple pellets. Cold smoked for 1 1/2 hours. This gave the meat a nice mellow smoke. Immediately following the cold smoke I browned the meat with onions, garlic, mushrooms, oregano, salt and pepper. While all that was going on I boiled the manicotti noodles. You don't want these to go super soft makes it easier to stuff without blowouts. 6-8 minutes in a rolling boil is about the right amount of time. Also while browning the meat mix up the cheesus. I used about 2 cups part skim ricotta, 2 cups grated mozzarella, and about a 1/2 cup Parmesan, chopped fresh parsley, oregano, salt ,pepper garlic. Once the meat mixture is browned remove from the heat and allow to cool. One it has cooled down a bit mix into the cheese mixture. In a 9x13 or larger casserole dish put a layer of sauce (can use marinara, spaghetti, or a white sauce) covering the bottom of the dish. Stuff the manicotti as full as you can with the cheese and meat mixture, place into the dish, repeat until done. Cover the pasta with more sauce, grated Parmesan, and fresh chopped parsley. Cover with foil and put into pre-heated 350° oven for 40 minutes or until heated through. I like to take the foil off for the last 10-15 minutes and hit with some more Parmesan.
It's been pretty cold here in Colorado, so I thought this would be a great time to try this. Everything came out great, thanks for posting this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Michael

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky