Cold Smoked Salmon

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Cool thanks bear that is what I was looking for. So basically what it looks like is if you get at least a 3.5%-5% salt solution brine and cold smoke it the meat is safe to eat. It appears that it is still considered a raw or semi-raw fillet of fish but it is safe to eat. That's the part I couldn't get over. My thinking was "How can't the fillet still be raw after 12 hours in a brine and 6 hours of cold smoking?" Thanks.
It would appear that way, but I'll still keep either cooking mine to 160˚, or freezing it for 30 days to below 0˚, and then smoking it to about 140˚.

Doesn't much matter for me, but a lot of others eat my smoked salmon, including my Son & his wife. 

Bear

My cold-smoked salmon recipe starts with a tablespoon per pound of fish of Morton Tender Quick over the fillet surface.  Then more salt and spices for a dry cure.  I put 1/8" to 1/4" of Kosher salt over the entire fillet for 24 hours then desalinate in cold fresh water for one hour.  Then overnight for the pellical and then 2-3 hours in a 50-70 degree smoker with a fruit wood.  I'm looking to get a firmer texture for the finished product, but have yet to place a weighted board over the fillet.  I hate mushy lox, but the firmer texture I get with my process suits me.

Chuck

My cold-smoked salmon recipe starts with a tablespoon per pound of fish of Morton Tender Quick over the fillet surface.  Then more salt and spices for a dry cure.  I put 1/8" to 1/4" of Kosher salt over the entire fillet for 24 hours then desalinate in cold fresh water for one hour.  Then overnight for the pellical and then 2-3 hours in a 50-70 degree smoker with a fruit wood.  I'm looking to get a firmer texture for the finished product, but have yet to place a weighted board over the fillet.  I hate mushy lox, but the firmer texture I get with my process suits me.

Chuck
This is a great way to go...I'm with you on the texture! As far as the original post, I have seen and used that much Salt and Sugar in making Gravlox but all the Recipes called for 2-3 days on the Salt with Pressing and turning the fish... 12 hours or less... I'm not that Brave...JJ

Last edited:
Sorry to be a tad late to the discussion here, but a few questions:

Seems like there is some debate with the amount of time that the salmon remain in the salt/brine mixture, 12 hours, 24 hour and a few 2 to 3 days have been mentioned.  Has anyone out there actually tried a variety of salting times?  Say 12 hours verses 24 hours?  Any noticeable differences and/or results?

Also once your salmon has been cured, and is ready for the refrigerator; does your refrigerator smell funky after 12 hours of uncovered salmon drying in there?  I do have an outdoor beer refrigerator, and was wonder if there’d be a residual smell left after 12 hours of drying?

I ordered an A-Maze-N smoker and look forward to cold smoking…

HFactor

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky