Cold Smoked Deviled Eggs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

link

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
May 7, 2008
Michigan
One of the guys I work with gave me three dozen farm fresh eggs. I eat a lot of eggs but 3 dozen is a lot. So deviled eggs it is. Brought them into work this morning for the guys to snack on.
An hour and a half with apple pellets (it is what I had) using the 6" A-Maze-N tube. Perfection!

Yes, the yolks really are that color.

Attachments

• 20190510_111917.jpg
    20190510_111917.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 151
Those are pretty. From the farm? Yes, dark Yolks from a high Carotene diet of green vegetation. Fresh, as in less than a week old? Not likely. Too Pretty. I used to get Farm Eggs from a guy I worked with, $1 a doz. Dark orange Yolks and a rich flavor. I got 2 dozen that were laid that week, definitely fresh. Boiled off a dozen for Deviled Eggs. What Nightmare trying to peel! The membrane stuck like it was glued on and chunks of egg would tear away trying to peel them. I find 2 week old eggs, still Fresh by Government Standards, peel the best...JJ

Those look great, need to make some and also some of those Amish mustard eggs. My wife only wants those cage free organic eggs at the store so when my friend back in Wisconsin started raising some egg layers at the farm we bough his eggs for a couple of years beautiful colored yolks. One day something got into the building and killed them all so back to the store eggs and when I made breakfast the wife asked what was wrong with the eggs, not so beautiful colored yolks,and I replied these are the same eggs you used to like before straight from the farm eggs.

Now I live in Colorado and we are back to store bought eggs until i find a regular supply.

Those are pretty. From the farm? Yes, dark Yolks from a high Carotene diet of green vegetation. Fresh, as in less than a week old? Not likely. Too Pretty. I used to get Farm Eggs from a guy I worked with, $1 a doz. Dark orange Yolks and a rich flavor. I got 2 dozen that were laid that week, definitely fresh. Boiled off a dozen for Deviled Eggs. What Nightmare trying to peel! The membrane stuck like it was glued on and chunks of egg would tear away trying to peel them. I find 2 week old eggs, still Fresh by Government Standards, peel the best...JJ

JJ, Fresh as in he brought them in on Wednesday and I hard boiled and smoked them that night. My wife made the deviled Eggs Thursday night and we ate them Friday morning. So they were less than a week. I say Farm fresh but he does not live on a farm. Just a house with a bit of property and they have about 12 chickens. When they have extra he brings them in for me. Yes, some were difficult to peel.

They were delicious.

Link

Reactions: chopsaw
Those look great, need to make some and also some of those Amish mustard eggs. My wife only wants those cage free organic eggs at the store so when my friend back in Wisconsin started raising some egg layers at the farm we bough his eggs for a couple of years beautiful colored yolks. One day something got into the building and killed them all so back to the store eggs and when I made breakfast the wife asked what was wrong with the eggs, not so beautiful colored yolks,and I replied these are the same eggs you used to like before straight from the farm eggs.

Now I live in Colorado and we are back to store bought eggs until i find a regular supply.

Yeah, it is tough going back to store bought. They do not get as many eggs in the winter so I do not usually get any. but now they are laying again so hopefully, the eggs will keep coming.

JJ, Fresh as in he brought them in on Wednesday and I hard boiled and smoked them that night. My wife made the deviled Eggs Thursday night and we ate them Friday morning. So they were less than a week. I say Farm fresh but he does not live on a farm. Just a house with a bit of property and they have about 12 chickens. When they have extra he brings them in for me. Yes, some were difficult to peel.

They were delicious.

Link

No condemnation meant. I was super impressed by how beautiful they came out. Between home and my business, I have peeled thousands of eggs and learning that the Fresher eggs are, close to the date laid, the bigger the PITA they are to peel cleanly.
Another friend raised chickens for fun, more pets than anything else. Still 2 dozen chickens put out a lot of eggs. With just her and her husband eating them, they put out a sign...Farm Fresh Eggs $2 a dozen. We talked about how the birds made them faster than they sold and although perfectly fine to eat, wondered if people would scoff at Fresh Eggs often being 4 or more weeks old.
Sorry of I came across as judgemental. Just Impressed hoe great You made Fresh Eggs look...JJ

No condemnation meant. I was super impressed by how beautiful they came out. Between home and my business, I have peeled thousands of eggs and learning that the Fresher eggs are, close to the date laid, the bigger the PITA they are to peel cleanly.
Another friend raised chickens for fun, more pets than anything else. Still 2 dozen chickens put out a lot of eggs. With just her and her husband eating them, they put out a sign...Farm Fresh Eggs $2 a dozen. We talked about how the birds made them faster than they sold and although perfectly fine to eat, wondered if people would scoff at Fresh Eggs often being 4 or more weeks old.
Sorry of I came across as judgemental. Just Impressed hoe great You made Fresh Eggs look...JJ
JJ, you did not come across as judgemental at all and I did not t as ke it that way. After reading your comment I realized I left out lots of details. So I added them. You are correct the freasher they are the harder they seem to be to peel.
So, sorry if I came across as snippy in my post.

Link

Reactions: chef jimmyj
Great job on the deviled eggs Link. Real nice touch with the little curl on top--a whole lot prettier than the ones I make.
We get all our eggs free from the neighbors, and they are a nightmare to peel. They end up looking like 10 miles of rough road by the time I get the shells off.
Gary

Did you fully peel the eggs before smoking them? My whites turn out a much darker color. Granted one time I forgot and accidently left them on for around 4 hours and loved them so much, I always leave them on for 4 hours now, but I'm pretty sure mine are pretty dark yellow-ish brown-ish by the 1 hour mark. I typically use alder pellets in my amazn pellet tray, not sure if that might affect it as well.

For those that have never tried it, For easy peel hardboiled eggs Sous Vide them @190° for 20 minutes and directly into bowl of ice water. When I buy eggs from store, I usually leave them for about 2 weeks before using. Gotta run smoker Wed for dried beef, may just have to toss a dozen in for 3-4 hrs.

Nice job with the eggs. Yup ice water after boil and a tablespoon of baking soda in the water when cooking helps them peel better. Nothing like farm fresh lucky to have nephew that supplies us with eggs.

Warren

Yum, they look so tasty. great job.

if you like devilled eggs give this a try, so easy and damn tasty. They keep for ages to.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky