Cold smoked Coho Salmon (whole)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
Yummy! Is there a glaze, or is that the way it comes off?
The last 30 minutes I brush them with Maple Syrup. The longer you keep them in the heat the more candy they get which is why they are call Candy Jerky. Some people make a big buck off this stuff.
327921288_1373225743506212_623517542505032636_n.jpg

Reactions: Cody_Mack
Ahakohda, Nice looking fish. From Alaska? Washington? Can’t wait to see a pic of it on crackers. Yumm!!

Remember, there’s no Ho like a Coho..

Last edited:
Great stuff right there! Got my mouth watering! I love me some salmon!

Reactions: ahakohda
The last 30 minutes I brush them with Maple Syrup. The longer you keep them in the heat the more candy they get which is why they are call Candy Jerky. Some people make a big buck off this stuff. View attachment 656623
I can only imagine how good that tastes! Here's about the most adventurous I have gone with smoked salmon; brined for an hour then hot smoked with brown sugar dusted on when near complete.

1675383991492.png

Reactions: KBFlyer
In Florida, you gotta monitor weather to catch a perfect day for cold smoking the salmon. Today we’ve got 52F brisk morning. Smoking time.

Fish.
Wild caught pacific coho salmon. Kept in freezer over a month.

Brine.
For 1kg of fish you need 1.2L of water.
For each (1kg fish + 1.2L water) we need 45g of salt and 25g of sugar.
Spices really is what you like - up to you. In my case it was Allspice, bay leaf, coriander seeds.
Boil 10min and let it cool.
After cooling I added cure#1 according to cure calculator.

Curing.
I used vacuum bag. Easier for me to tuck fish all around to make sure it is fully submerged.
Cured for 48hours

Drying.
Dried overnight over sink with gentle breeze from fan. Toothpicks inserted to open the belly.

Smoking.
Smoked 6 hours inside Masterbuilt with master built cold smoking attachment. Alder chips.

Aging
After aerating it goes to curing chamber until next saturday.

Before
View attachment 656020
View attachment 656021

After
View attachment 656022
View attachment 656023
You answered the question I was looking for!! my brother loves in Washington and has sent us some steelhead that was smoked and for the life of me i couldn’t understand how they did it because it was cold smoked but it was drier than lox at the store that you buy in the gold packets at the grocery store…. So I don’t have a curing chamber …. In your opinion would a week in the fridge dry it enough… also as far as cure#1 goes are you doing the standard 2.5g/kg of meat?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky