Cold Smoked Bacon-1st Time

Discussion in 'Bacon' started by sladerummel, Oct 8, 2013.

1. I ended up buying a whole hog and told the butcher to just cut it up and don't do anything to it. With this hog I want to try my own bacon as well as doing my own hams. With the ground meat I will experiment with sausages and other stuff. It was time to do the hog. I used pop's recipe. It is simple and delicous. I couldnt ask for better results. http://www.smokingmeatforums.com/t/110799/pops6927-s-wet-curing-brine   I brined it for 12 days in a turkey brining bag which was inserted into a 5 gallon bucket. I then cut a slab of and tested it on that 12th day. It was a little salty (I could have eaten it no problem) so i soaked it in water for 1 hr and changed the water after 30 min. I then patted it dry added some ground pepper and let it sit in the fridge for a couple days before smoking it. On the day I was smoking it was 42 degrees out and i had two AmazeN smokers in my WSM with Apple and Hickery dust. I did add a dozen or so briquettes to get the smoker up to a max of 107 degrees but tried to let it stay anywhere from 70-85 degrees. I then took it off and let it sit in the fridge for a couple days. On slicing day i put it in the freezer for a little over an hour and here is the final result.

disco likes this.
  2. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

Nice looking bacon! Nice color. Your going to really like those hams if you you pop's brine.

3. s2k9k

s2k9k AMNPS Test Group

The bacon looks Great!!!

4. Bacon looks might good, I like lean bacon. Nice CF[​IMG]

5. Bacon looks might good, I like lean bacon. Nice CF[​IMG]

6. Thanks for the comments.

I put the ham in the brine the same day I put this bacon in the brine. The only thing i am worried about is that I never injected it with the brine. Is that going to give me any issues???

7. Bacon looks GREAT! nice color and nice slicing job. I take it you used a knife? You said it was a little salty. How much salt did you use? I use 1/3 cup per gallon. Never had a salt issue.

Happy smoken.

David

8. woodcutter

woodcutter Master of the Pit OTBS Member

What piece of meat did you use for the ham?

9. I have a cheap slicer that I use. It does a decent job for the price. And I used 1 cup of salt per gallon. Next time i will probably use half that.

10. I used the back leg/ham minus the lower shank. It was bone in.

11. disco

disco Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

There is no mistaken, that's great bacon. The Qview is great too.

Disco

12. dirtsailor2003

dirtsailor2003 Smoking Guru OTBS Member

Great Looking Bacon. Your bone in ham not injected may be an issue. I'd PM Pop's and ask him if it's salvageable.

13. daveomak

daveomak Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member

14. diamondmarco

diamondmarco Smoke Blower

Awesome results.

This is on my "to do next" list.

Thanks for sharing.

15. link

link Smoking Fanatic SMF Premier Member

That looks really good. I think I may give this a try soon as it has gotten colder here now.

16. foamheart

foamheart Smoking Guru OTBS Member SMF Premier Member