Cold smoke, too much smoke?

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

solman

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Nov 13, 2015
I'm setting up my 40" inch propane masterbuilt to cold smoke some pork belly bacon. I have a tube smoker housed in a separate box outside of the masterbuilt, and there's a 6" diameter vent hose that connects the two. Ambient temperature was 55F, smoker temperature got as high as 66F.

There's plenty of smoke blowing out the upper back vent of the masterbuilt, and when i opened the main compartment door there was literally a solid wall of smoke. So much smoke that i could barely see inside.

So with all that said, am i getting too much smoke? I put a computer fan on the upper back vent, and it helped clear up some smoke inside so when i opened the door again the smoke was only about half as thick.

Reactions: Baconator420
The important thing is that the smoke is moving. Sounds like you are still getting plenty of smoke with the fan, so I would probably go that route. How long are you planning? Are you doing multiple smoke/rests?

I feel a tube is too much for a MES, I use a tray in mine.

I'm planning to do 8 hour each day over 3 days. This test run was done using pellets. I plan to use coarse dust during the actual cold smoke. Dust should produce less dense smoke.

Another thing i can do is crack open the main compartment of the masterbuilt if I choose not to use a fan, that should still help get the air flowing.

I'll do another test run with coarse dust and see how it goes. So, wall of smoke is bad. Got it.

Just keep in mind that smoke and meat doesn work on reciprocating basis.. for example. it's not same 3 days x 8 hrs smoke as 6 days x 4hrs smoke... it's always better to smoke shorter periods of hours and more days... you need to give time for smoke flavour to penetrate in to meat and smoke flavor penetration is happening only during no smoke rest time...

Reactions: indaswamp
Could do as others have in the past. Only fill the tube so it's 1/2 Full when its lying down. Cuts your smoke in half.

I feel a tube is too much for a MES, I use a tray in mine.

X2---I played the games with my tube smokers, and if you are at low altitude like I am, a tube puts out too much smoke for an MES Unit, even if you fill it laying on its side, standing up, or doing a Dance while filling it.
Get an AMNPS, learn to light it properly, and Smoke happily ever after.
The Tube was designed for bigger smokers & for guys smoking at high altitudes.
And remember;
Light Smoked for many hours is a good thing, but heavy dense smoke for even a short time can be a bad thing!

Bear

I'm planning to do 8 hour each day over 3 days. This test run was done using pellets. I plan to use coarse dust during the actual cold smoke. Dust should produce less dense smoke.

Another thing i can do is crack open the main compartment of the masterbuilt if I choose not to use a fan, that should still help get the air flowing.

I'll do another test run with coarse dust and see how it goes. So, wall of smoke is bad. Got it.
Use dust....and pack it tight. Pellets put out too much white smoke for cold smoking.

Reactions: dernektambura
Use dust....and pack it tight. Pellets put out too much white smoke for cold smoking.
Now, I'll give you family tradition secret...tp me it doesnt really matter if it's dust, pellets or woodchunks... you have to tend and watch that smoking business.. . that's why I never smoke meat without proper fuel to get me going too... beer, moonshine, vine... doesn't mater... it's cold outside and if I am doing cold smoking I don't want to freeze to death... right... . lol...

Last edited:
I weighed out how many pellets fit into my tube, and put the same weight of dust into the tube which filled the tube about halfway.

With dust it's significantly less smoke, and actually thin blue smoke. It smells a lot better too. I opened the main compartment and there's a slight haze of smoke compared to the pellets solid wall of white smoke. I'll never use pellets again. Dust from now on.

I weighed out how many pellets fit into my tube, and put the same weight of dust into the tube which filled the tube about halfway.

With dust it's significantly less smoke, and actually thin blue smoke. It smells a lot better too. I opened the main compartment and there's a slight haze of smoke compared to the pellets solid wall of white smoke. I'll never use pellets again. Dust from now on.
<thumbs up> Dust is the ticket for cold smokes IMO.....especially for LOOONG cold smokes...you'll also find it burns cooler than pellets.
I give credit to Dave....he credits Mr. T....

LOL---Same thing I've had for 8 years with my AMNPS.
I use Dust for things I smoke at under approx' 225°, and Pellets for things I smoke at over 225°.
I started that mainly because 8 years ago, anything smoked with Dust in an AMNS at over 225° would cross rows, light up & the whole thing would burn out within an hour or so. That's why Todd invented the AMNPS, with the double interior walls.
Dust has always burned cooler, which is why I always use it for Cheese.
Not a new discovery for an AMNPS.
Maybe it is for a Tube, but old hat for an AMNPS.

Just because a few just discovered something old, doesn't make it a new discovery.

Bear

Just keep in mind that smoke and meat doesn work on reciprocating basis.. for example. it's not same 3 days x 8 hrs smoke as 6 days x 4hrs smoke... it's always better to smoke shorter periods of hours and more days... you need to give time for smoke flavour to penetrate in to meat and smoke flavor penetration is happening only during no smoke rest time...

Not a Challenge, I'm just interested in learning...l have toured a few Slaughter House/Butcher operations that Cure and Smoke meats and sausage, studied the Southern Smoking Technique for Country Bacon and Hams and the recent Benton's Bacon Video I posted all run Smoke Continously for 24 hours to 7 days.
Is your info anecdotal, as so many techniques are or do you have studies on smoke penetration you can recommend I read. Thanks...JJ

Not a Challenge, I'm just interested in learning...l have toured a few Slaughter House/Butcher operations that Cure and Smoke meats and sausage, studied the Southern Smoking Technique for Country Bacon and Hams and the recent Benton's Bacon Video I posted all run Smoke Continously for 24 hours to 7 days.
Is your info anecdotal, as so many techniques are or do you have studies on smoke penetration you can recommend I read. Thanks...JJ
I would think that temperature in the smokehouse and temperature/humidity where the meat is stored between smokes plays an important role....just like it does in dry curing.....

LOL---Same thing I've had for 8 years with my AMNPS.
I use Dust for things I smoke at under approx' 225°, and Pellets for things I smoke at over 225°.
I started that mainly because 8 years ago, anything smoked with Dust in an AMNS at over 225° would cross rows, light up & the whole thing would burn out within an hour or so. That's why Todd invented the AMNPS, with the double interior walls.
Dust has always burned cooler, which is why I always use it for Cheese.
Not a new discovery for an AMNPS.
Maybe it is for a Tube, but old hat for an AMNPS.

Just because a few just discovered something old, doesn't make it a new discovery.

Bear
It's a new discovery relative to using the Oval or the round tube to burn dust, since Todd plainly states in the directions that the tube is for burning pellets. At least to me... Chopsaw was the first one I saw post about it, and this was after I tried it...I had not seen his thread on it and started another one.

I know Bacon and Country Hams were Cold Smoked, continuously, around 80°, depending on indoor or outdoor smoking rooms but always less than 120°F. Sausage and City Hams, at around 170 to an IT of 150°F. The Cold Smoked meats were stored at 55°F. Those rooms were a thing of beauty...JJ

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky