Cleaning smoker

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Kirbygw

Original poster
Jun 5, 2022
Is there any downside to not periodically cleaning the interior of a Masterbuilt smoker? I keep the grates and drip pans in lean and the glass door. Cleaning the goo off the walls, ceiling and floor is certainly a PITA.

No need to clean it, unless you really want to. Or unless it gets particularly disgusting and infested.
Out of curiosity: how were you cleaning it?

I clean mine by scraping with a stainless 2" spatula when the ceiling starts flaking onto the food. And I keep foil on the woodbox and floor that I change when dirty.

No need to clean it, unless you really want to. Or unless it gets particularly disgusting and infested.
Out of curiosity: how were you cleaning it?
I use a combination of Dawn power wash spray and Awesome. Spray, let it soak in then wipe with wet microfiber cloth.

Reactions: forktender
All you need is a plastic spatula,a stiff nylon brush and a vac. Knock off the gross filth and build up and then vac.

Reactions: BurntWeenie
Whatever you do or don't do, DO NOT power wash it. I messed up two units that way as water got into the electronic controls.
If the unit is unplugged and given ample time to dry out completely and a little care is taken to tape off the controls, he'll be fine. I pressure washed mine dozens of times with zero problems to date.

I don't recommend pressure washing the unit to people that don't take the extra steps to prevent water damage and use extreme caution while preforming the task.

I made the mistake of smoking fish in mine, and had to pressure wash it to get the fishiness smell out of the unit. Now I have a single dedicated smoker for seafood and fish, I don't care what people say, fish leaves an aftertaste and smell in smokers. They may not be able to smell or taste it, but I guarantee some judges can and do smell and taste it. I love seafood and fish just not on my brisket or ribs.:emoji_fearful:
:emoji_joy:

I clean anything removable after each smoke. The grates, water pan and the drip pan I spray with dawn power wash and then put in the dishwasher. Before each smoke i rub the grates with olive oil to prevent sticking and I line the water pan and drip pan with aluminum foil. This makes clean up easy.
As for the insides of the smoker, once a year at most is all I do. I use a mixture of warm water and vinegar and scrub with a scotch brite pad and wipe with a wet dish towel.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky