CL find- Awesome deal on my new Old Country Brazos

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

big swole

Original poster
Oct 13, 2016
Well, I know I change my mind WAY to often but after buying and cooking on the Old Country Wrangler and seeing how small / narrow the cook chamber is, I've been looking at getting a bigger / better offset. The Pecos is a great size and most seem to really love it but I didn't like the thinner metal. 

Find a CL "Smokin" Deal. Not sure about the guy I bought from due to his major stash of smokers and all kinds of other stuff that still "Brand New". He does business out of his house and large yard / shed.

Anyway. He had a Brand New Old Country Brazos. The larger cook chamber and 1/4" thick metal. They retailed for $1000. Let's say I didn't quite get it for half that, but it was a Great Deal :)

Already have my Wranger sold to an old neighbor for what I paid for it. I'll give him the cover though. I have to order the one for Brazos / Pecos size.

Last edited:
Sooooooo..... you bought a stolen smoker? It was less than half the regular price (red flag) ,the dude sells "brand new" out of his house (nothing odd there), and you clearly had misgivings about buying it but did anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good deal but I think you know that's what this deal was.

Sooooooo..... you bought a stolen smoker? It was less than half the regular price (red flag) ,the dude sells "brand new" out of his house (nothing odd there), and you clearly had misgivings about buying it but did anyway. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a good deal but I think you know that's what this deal was.
No!!! There's no proof that it / they are stolen. Not half price either. $650 vs. $1000  He had SO much other stuff that would obviously have serial numbers that could be tracked.  He advertises on Craigslist and has buyers come to his house.  IF....IF he does sell stolen stuff, he's the dumbest criminal I know and would have obviously been caught by now.  I saw his adds for other stuff and Wranglers like I bought back when I first started looking.  He'd have been shut down by now if that were the case.  Detectives would be checking CL for stolen items IMMEDIATELY if that many were missing.  He would have Had to been found it by now, if he was dealing all in stolen goods.  Just too obvious with his setup.

He did not tell me where he gets them but said, " I trade and sell all kinds of stuff ".   " I buy all sorts of things to sell or trade".   It wasn't just his house.  He had stuff piled all outside his big garage and in the yard.  Clearly visible!!  

It's very possible he has a deal with Academy or other locations to buy up units that are damaged or haven't sold for a long time.  Some of the smokers had missing parts / grates.  He'll make a grate to sell with it.  The one I bought, the handle that goes around the stack is bent slightly.

Fact is, I even mentioned while there, that I'm a cop.  Just to see how he'd react to what I said.  It didn't seem to bother him.  He just kept talking about how he used to sell 2-3 grills / smokers a day and for some reason business had slowed.  My price of $650 was not his normal price.  He said he used to get $800-850 for the Brazos.

Either way.  If I thought there was something really fishy going on, I would not have made the deal.  My job isn't worth getting a $350 discount.

Oh!!  Plus, the Brazos is discontinued I think also.  That may be why he had them new.  

Either way...If I were to be contacted about this guy and stolen good, I'd be the FIRST to dime him out and give mine back, as well as help get him locked up!!  It's what I do for a living.

Last edited:
I'm not trying to start a war here just offering my opinion that it looks like a fencing operation to me and I would have consulted the B&T division about this guy first. Then if it's legit and the guy just happens to be a collector of brand new items then good deal. How do you know that it really was his "house" he's selling out of? Who has that many "brand new" items to sell? Advertising on CraigsList is another big indicator. Yeah, I know some people do sell legitimately on that site but remember it's the same site that advertises "companionship" for the evening. At a minimum it looks like he's buying from the meth heads that sneak up to Lowes and Home Depot and cut the chains on the stuff outside before scurrying off with their prizes. The dent and damaged stuff of that value usually gets returned to the manufacturer for replacement or gets sold to companies that refurb and re sell it and not individuals. Just my two cents. Not everyone will agree and in the end if you're comfortable with it then that's what matters.

I'm not trying to start a war here just offering my opinion that it looks like a fencing operation to me and I would have consulted the B&T division about this guy first. Then if it's legit and the guy just happens to be a collector of brand new items then good deal. How do you know that it really was his "house" he's selling out of? Who has that many "brand new" items to sell? Advertising on CraigsList is another big indicator. Yeah, I know some people do sell legitimately on that site but remember it's the same site that advertises "companionship" for the evening. At a minimum it looks like he's buying from the meth heads that sneak up to Lowes and Home Depot and cut the chains on the stuff outside before scurrying off with their prizes. The dent and damaged stuff of that value usually gets returned to the manufacturer for replacement or gets sold to companies that refurb and re sell it and not individuals. Just my two cents. Not everyone will agree and in the end if you're comfortable with it then that's what matters.
Well, I tell ya what.  I'll look into it.  I'll ask one of our detectives to contact that local dept. and see if anybody has filed any complaints or if they've ever investigated the guy.  If it turns out that it's not legit, I'll be the first to return it and suck up the loss.  But there where just little clues that he obviously lived there.  His son was on a bobcat doing work in the yard / driveway.  He came out of the "House" when I pulled up and walked over to the "shop" building and collection of stuff out front.  Not everything was new.  If fact, most was used.   He had multiple items that could in no way be "snatched".  It would take a large truck / trailer to haul.  He had to pump up the tire on the fork lift before loading it for me.  

Just didn't feel like a complete criminal activity place given the totality of the circumstances.  I guess we'll see.  I have his Name, phone, and address.  I'll check or have someone check the local PD for any investigations prior.

Easy, Scoob, grab a Shaggy snack....

Seller guy could be in the closeout business:  buddy of mine (former and very successful commercial banker) quit his day job, started buying up liquidation merchandise.  Even though stuff may still be in production and NIB, manufacturer will not:  repeat WILL NOT, take it back.  He started out of his garage, went to a mini-warehouse, then a larger warehouse, then another.  Sells for a fraction of what this stuff may run new in other retailers, and he's legit:  net worth is high 7 digits.  Give the dude the benefit of the doubt without knowing all the facts.

Easy, Scoob, grab a Shaggy snack....

Seller guy could be in the closeout business:  buddy of mine (former and very successful commercial banker) quit his day job, started buying up liquidation merchandise.  Even though stuff may still be in production and NIB, manufacturer will not:  repeat WILL NOT, take it back.  He started out of his garage, went to a mini-warehouse, then a larger warehouse, then another.  Sells for a fraction of what this stuff may run new in other retailers, and he's legit:  net worth is high 7 digits.  Give the dude the benefit of the doubt without knowing all the facts.

I never found out exactly but this is more than likely what this guy does given the situation and his set up at his home and garage.

Wow .. guys lets focus on what he posted... big smoker and a good deal! I know a guy who buys sells and trades everything! One time he traded a car for 50 flat screen tv's! The guy who traded Owned a small tv shop! U never know! Congrats on the nice smoker!!!

^^ grOucho

Just responding to the line in post #7 of this thread shown below.

No!!! There's no proof that it / they are stolen. Not half price either. $650 vs. $1000  He had SO much other stuff that would obviously have serial numbers that could be tracked.  He advertises on Craigslist and has buyers come to his house.  IF....IF he does sell stolen stuff, he's the dumbest criminal I know and would have obviously been caught by now.  I saw his adds for other stuff and Wranglers like I bought back when I first started looking.  He'd have been shut down by now if that were the case.  Detectives would be checking CL for stolen items IMMEDIATELY if that many were missing.  He would have Had to been found it by now, if he was dealing all in stolen goods.  Just too obvious with his setup.

He did not tell me where he gets them but said, " I trade and sell all kinds of stuff ".   " I buy all sorts of things to sell or trade".   It wasn't just his house.  He had stuff piled all outside his big garage and in the yard.  Clearly visible!!  

It's very possible he has a deal with Academy or other locations to buy up units that are damaged or haven't sold for a long time.  Some of the smokers had missing parts / grates.  He'll make a grate to sell with it.  The one I bought, the handle that goes around the stack is bent slightly.

Fact is, I even mentioned while there, that I'm a cop.  Just to see how he'd react to what I said.  It didn't seem to bother him.  He just kept talking about how he used to sell 2-3 grills / smokers a day and for some reason business had slowed.  My price of $650 was not his normal price.  He said he used to get $800-850 for the Brazos.

Either way.  If I thought there was something really fishy going on, I would not have made the deal.  My job isn't worth getting a $350 discount.

Oh!!  Plus, the Brazos is discontinued I think also.  That may be why he had them new.  

Either way...If I were to be contacted about this guy and stolen good, I'd be the FIRST to dime him out and give mine back, as well as help get him locked up!!  It's what I do for a living.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky