Citrus in the FL panhandle

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

smokingunny

Smoking Fanatic
Original poster
Jul 26, 2013
Pace, FL
Does anyone have any tips and tricks for growing citrus here? I have two satsumas and a Meyer lemon and they all produced this year. I'm just looking ahead for long term care to ensure their survival.

You might want to list where here is to help folks that know something, I know freezing can wipe a crop out quickly as I seen it happen in Fla in the mid 70's when I lived there

Check with the local agronomist and do what they tell you... Sprays etc... time of year etc..
I tried growing a couple peach trees... I found it was cheaper and a lot less work to buy fruit from my local orchard...

Getting the right variety on the right rootstock is probably the biggest first step. The University of Florida does quite a bit of citrus research and some has been done with satsumas at the research center in Quincy. You can go to the UF website http://sfyl.ifas.ufl.edu/
and type in satsuma where it says "What can we help you with" and you will get some info. You could also talk with your County Extension agent and see what he can tell you if he doesn't know he can find out.
The research center in Quincy has freeze protection for younger trees for when it gets into hard freezes.
There was a good sized Satsuma industry in the Panhandle and North Florida years ago but some hard freezes pretty much whipped out most of the trees and killed the industry.
With advances in cultivars and micro jet freeze protection some people are getting back into growing them commercially but it taken off like it once was.
If you don't get the answers your looking for PM me and I might be able to help or know the right people to ask.

You might want to list where here is to help folks that know something, I know freezing can wipe a crop out quickly as I seen it happen in Fla in the mid 70's when I lived there

I am in the Pensacola area, Pace to be specific. I did quite a bit of research before purchasing them last January and decided on these varieties due to their cold hardiness. I was mainly looking for some real world experience from this forum.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky