CI Grilled Potato Pancake Breakfast Scramble (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
As fate would have it, I am down to a 3 day work week. Things were so slow I offered to the boss that we pigeon hole all of my inspections into 3 days and I'd take a 40% pay cut. He and I go back to 1997 when I started working with him as his senior project manager building huge custom homes. He's a great guy and has always been very fair so this just seemed like a decent thing to do. Today happens to be a day at home so decided to make a breakfast that's been bouncing around in my deviant little mind for a couple days. Once again, this goes out to Ray and Steve ( sawhorseray sawhorseray and Steve H Steve H ) and a bunch of other folks that are getting into CI grilling. This breakfast was totally insane but totally creative also...and it just happened to taste incredibly good.

Start with about a half pound of homemade breakfast sausage
001.jpg

Get the tater grater our, grind a big spud, add the stuff for a binder, and put it in the 8" CI skillet
002.jpg

Add some jalapenos and green onions to the sausage
003.jpg

Gently slide the tater pancake out of the skillet and turn it over
004.jpg

Put back into the skillet and back on the stove to brown the other side
005.jpg

Crack a couple of eggs into the sausage mix
006.jpg

Cook till eggs are starting to firm up but not quite done then put on top of the potato pancake
007.jpg

Pile on a bunch of sharp cheddar cheese
008.jpg

Now to the grill. Cover with pizza dome
009.jpg

About 15 minutes on low heat to warm through and melt the cheese and it's done
010.jpg

Slide the entire thing out of the skillet and onto a plate
012.jpg

It's chow time boys and girls!!
015.jpg

014.jpg

WOW!! This was just crazy. The concept itself was crazy and it was crazy good. Lots of different textures and very complex flavors as far as a breakfast goes. Personally, I also love the creative aspect of it. This was just plain fun to put together. It was also enormous. Three eggs (one in the potato pancake and two in the sausage mix), one large potato, a half pound of sausage, and over a quarter pound of cheese. I had my doubts about finishing it but found myself up to the task. I ate every bite. Certainly wasn't hungry afterward, that's for sure!! If I were to do this for a weekend meal for both of us, I'd double the sausage and eggs so it was the same size but a lot thicker. From a visual perspective, that's the only place I see this lacking. Maybe just a bit too thin. I'm darned sure gonna be doing this one again though!!

Nap time!!
Robert

tasty looking snack there Robert, yeah i'd leave work for that too!

Thanks Jim but it was a bit ore than a snack. This was a full blown meal for two people that I just happened to devour all by myself :emoji_wink:

Robert

Wow great looking breakfast! I need a nap just looking at it! Looks delicious!

Thanks Joe. i had to fight off the nap but had some help from Tracy. As is typical, she had a chore list for me today so opportunity for a nap was stolen from me.

Robert

Looks good but wheres the hot sauce?

I figured somebody would ask this question. Didn't need any. Sauce would have messed up the textural aspects so I just put a good dose of cayenne on top after I took the last pics. That was plenty.

Robert

That looks wonderful Robert, I'd be pretty darned happy sitting down to that plate, Like! Speaking of plate, I thought everything got eaten right out of the skillet, what's up with that? I at least I won't have to worry about coming up with an idea, you and Steve H Steve H have it all covered! RAY

• Haha
Reactions: Steve H
That looks wonderful Robert, I'd be pretty darned happy sitting down to that plate, Like! Speaking of plate, I thought everything got eaten right out of the skillet, what's up with that? I at least I won't have to worry about coming up with an idea, you and Steve H Steve H have it all covered! RAY

Thanks so much Ray. Appreciate the kind words my friend. Certainly you could eat these right out of the skillet but I had two issues I was taking into account. Some things done in CI you need to get out of the pan quickly or the bottom may burn from the residual heat of the CI. The other was that I just wanted a nice finished pic of it all done and ready to eat. turns out that they would have been fine left in the skillet to eat.

Yep...ya gotta pay attention to that Steve character. He's getting a lot of cool stuff going in the CI. This is gonna be fun to watch...now just waiting to see what you get going :emoji_wink:

Robert

Don't look at me Ray. Robert is the CI wizard around here. I'm still a virgin!

NOPE!! You started it all. I just jumped on board and followed your lead. It's all your fault.

Pleading innocence
Robert

It looks absolutely delicious. It would have been hard to leave any leftovers.

Thanks so much. It did look cool...and was pretty darned tasty as well, and you're correct in that there were no leftovers.

Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky