Chuck Roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

nawlinsborn73

Fire Starter
Original poster
Aug 21, 2020
I plan on smoking a Chuck roast this weekend. I've read some posts and have learned quite a bit so far. I plan on taking it up to 175-180 IT before wrapping. I've read that some wrap in butcher paper and some wrap in foil. I was planning on putting it in an aluminum pan with about 1/2 cup of beef stock and then foiling the top of the pan. Would this be just as effective as wrapping with foil or would I benefit more from a tight wrap of foil?

Chucks really respond well to a wrapped or covered finish. I usually wrap on color, and sometimes that is 150° internal.

Along with a little broth, beer, or whatever.... you can add a bed of onions (and some garlic) when finishing. The main caution is to not cook it so tender that it turns into a pot roast. It will still be good, but it will loose some of the barbecue flavors.

I want to pull it but I also want to avoid it tasting like pot roast. Not sure if that is possible or not

Thanks. Damn that looks good

I plan on smoking a Chuck roast this weekend. I've read some posts and have learned quite a bit so far. I plan on taking it up to 175-180 IT before wrapping. I've read that some wrap in butcher paper and some wrap in foil. I was planning on putting it in an aluminum pan with about 1/2 cup of beef stock and then foiling the top of the pan. Would this be just as effective as wrapping with foil or would I benefit more from a tight wrap of foil?
Actually I like using a pan, and covering it, because there is a lot less chance of springing a leak and losing all that liquid gold, and messing up the inside of your smoker.

Bear

Going to 180 before wrapping may be too much. Go by color and bark. You don't want a hockey puck. Also try to avoid the pot roast syndrome.

Reactions: Marknmd
Here it is!! Smoked at 225 for about 6.5 hours. IT was only around 155. I pulled it and finished it off in the oven at 325 with some veggies and stock. It was still pretty tough at 205 so I let it ride until 210. This was better than I thought it would be. I thought it would taste like pot roast but to my surprise, the smoke flavor was really present. Thanks for all the tips!!

Attachments

• IMG_8369.JPG
    IMG_8369.JPG
    282 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_8372.JPG
    IMG_8372.JPG
    287.3 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8375.JPG
    IMG_8375.JPG
    293.5 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_8370.JPG
    IMG_8370.JPG
    260.5 KB · Views: 37
SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky