Chuck roast

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Boardtowndawg

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Dec 6, 2018
I have a couple chuck roasts goin on the smoker for dinner tonight. Both between 2.5 and 3 pounds. Hopefully they turn out decent.

Attachments

• 9C3DAA33-AC89-474C-B7E3-AB7B29A4FC2E.jpeg
    9C3DAA33-AC89-474C-B7E3-AB7B29A4FC2E.jpeg
    181.8 KB · Views: 141
Looks good. How are they doing? What are you smoking them on?

Keep us posted.

Looks good. How are they doing? What are you smoking them on?

Keep us posted.

They have been on almost 2 hours now. I.T. Is up to 131 trying to keep cooking temp around 250-260. I’m smoking on a Old Country Smokehouse pit.

Reactions: illini40
Ok, just pulled them off to wrap. Don’t have any butcher paper so I’m using foil. Pulled them at 153 I.T. Added some broth and back to the smoker they go.

Attachments

• 3AC82160-C8C4-4000-8896-AC6DDAEF7DD3.jpeg
    3AC82160-C8C4-4000-8896-AC6DDAEF7DD3.jpeg
    187.9 KB · Views: 141
Ok, just pulled them off to wrap. Don’t have any butcher paper so I’m using foil. Pulled them at 153 I.T. Added some broth and back to the smoker they go.

Wow - those look great! Good deep dark color. How long have they been on now?

They do look great are you looking at pulling or slicing?

Chris

They have been on 5 hours now. I know the name of the game is low and slow but would it hurt to let my cooking temp rise up to around 270 since the meat is wrapped in foil. I.T. @ 174

Pulled them off about 20 minutes ago and went straight to being wrapped in a towel in cooler. I.T. Was in between 202-205. Probe felt like butter goin in. Gotta make a run to Walmart now for the wife I’ll post pics when I get back

They have been on 5 hours now. I know the name of the game is low and slow but would it hurt to let my cooking temp rise up to around 270 since the meat is wrapped in foil. I.T. @ 174

How did they turn out?

Probably a late response to your question, however, I would not be afraid to crank the heat. Go for it. Just watch it.

Finally got to taste them. Walmart took longer than I thought. Taste great. Maybe just a touch dry though. Good smoke ring. Maybe I let temp get a little to high.

Attachments

• 569B8C0D-5B63-497F-8A0E-17F319A0EFD3.jpeg
    569B8C0D-5B63-497F-8A0E-17F319A0EFD3.jpeg
    208.2 KB · Views: 132
  • EDDE2C12-D7CF-4985-BD5B-6F815D6CE267.jpeg
    EDDE2C12-D7CF-4985-BD5B-6F815D6CE267.jpeg
    209.5 KB · Views: 133
Reactions: disco
Mind me asking what you used for the rub?

Honestly I don’t know. Haha if I knew I would tell you, my brother in law gave me a big mason jar full of this blend for Christmas. I asked him what it was but he didn’t know. He didn’t ask the guy he got it from. It’s good though! I’ve had it on these chuckies and steak. Gonna try it on some ribs this weekend.

Honestly I don’t know. Haha if I knew I would tell you, my brother in law gave me a big mason jar full of this blend for Christmas. I asked him what it was but he didn’t know. He didn’t ask the guy he got it from. It’s good though! I’ve had it on these chuckies and steak. Gonna try it on some ribs this weekend.
Thanks anyway, gonna smoke a couple of chucks Saturday. I'll just do a basic rub on them. Good luck with the ribs, did some last weekend, just finished the leftovers tonight.

Thanks anyway, gonna smoke a couple of chucks Saturday. I'll just do a basic rub on them. Good luck with the ribs, did some last weekend, just finished the leftovers tonight.

Sounds good! This will be my first time doing ribs so I’m looking forward to it. Any advice?

Sounds good! This will be my first time doing ribs so I’m looking forward to it. Any advice?
I smoke ribs using 3,2,1. 3 hours on smoker, wrap and go another 2 hours, then unwrap and go another hour or until 205 if you like fall off the bone. I put on a coat of mustard and the rub for a few hours before hitting the smoker. Some of the guys put apple juice or other things in the foil, some spritz the ribs while smoking. I don't do any of that, just the same initial rub.
Really you could smoke them the same way you did your Chuck.

I smoke ribs using 3,2,1. 3 hours on smoker, wrap and go another 2 hours, then unwrap and go another hour or until 205 if you like fall off the bone. I put on a coat of mustard and the rub for a few hours before hitting the smoker. Some of the guys put apple juice or other things in the foil, some spritz the ribs while smoking. I don't do any of that, just the same initial rub.

Awesome thanks

At what temp in your pit for the 3,2,1 method Rob?

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky