Chuck Eye Steak Cook

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Smokin' in AZ

Gone but not forgotten. RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Jul 13, 2019
Chandler and Show Low Arizona
Well, I finally found the chuck eye steaks (Walmart) and made it back to the mountains (it is still too hot in the valley to BBQ there) and got them on the grill.

Here they are out of the marination unit, which is a vacuum sealed container with lid.
IMG_20190823_184752844.jpg

Sorry did not get a pic of the steaks on the grill.

And here is the finished product, steak with sweet potato butter and honey, and fresh broccoli.
IMG_20190823_191707127.jpg

tx smoker tx smoker Does this count? :emoji_sunglasses:

Well sure looks good , how was it ? Tender ?

It was good, but not as tender as expected (cooked med rare).

I would try it again, not sure if it was just not as good a grade of beef as yours.

It was just in a plain white styrofoam container with a white generic (Walmart) looking label that did not have any info on the grading.

Maybe next time I need to get them elsewhere.

Problem comes in sometimes , that " meat cutter " is a skilled trade . Not sure how much knowledge of this stuff goes with Walmart . The ones I had were like butter . You can see the different muscle groups . That's why they like to fall apart . I just bought Chuck tender ,,, not the same . Gonna smoke it whole see what happens .
20190707_152419.jpg 20190707_152415.jpg

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
looks good, I think some times they need to be cook longer because they come from so close to the chuck, but sometimes you can just get a tougher piece of meat. i'm not even sure Walmart cut's their own meats I think it's done in the factories packaged and shipped to the stores(could be wrong) either way your dinner looks tasty.

Looks Mighty Tasty to me.
Like.
It's been awhile since we had any, but like most of the steaks we buy they were probably "Choice".
Did yours come close to falling apart?

Bear

looks good, I think some times they need to be cook longer because they come from so close to the chuck, but sometimes you can just get a tougher piece of meat. i'm not even sure Walmart cut's their own meats I think it's done in the factories packaged and shipped to the stores(could be wrong) either way your dinner looks tasty.

Thanks Jim!

Check out the Rancho Market in Mesa for those steaks. Or Midwestern Meats if you want to pay a little more for a little better beef.

" tx smoker tx smoker Does this count? :emoji_sunglasses:"

Oh Hell yes that counts!! Looks absolutely fantastic. I'm heartbroken for you however that it didn't come out as well as you'd hoped. Prep and cooking look perfect so I guess I'll have to chime in with the rest of the sentiments here that it just wasn't a good quality cut of meat. It's certainly worth trying again though assuming you can find something that's a bit higher quality. If it were me doing it, I wouldn't change a thing about your process.

I took a minute to check the site where I get all my beef products from. They don't have the Chuck Eye Steak but they do have Boneless Chuck Short Ribs and they look virtually identical to what you cooked. I can't help but think the cuts would be very similar and I will attest to the outstanding quality and flavor of every piece of meat I've gotten from this place. Being that I'm planning to place an order today and take advantage of the 25% off Labor Day sale, I believe I'm gonna get some of the Short Ribs and give them a run. Your cook just looks too good not to give it a shot :emoji_laughing:

Running up the beef bill,
Robert

Reactions: Smokin' in AZ
Chuck eye is from the same muscle that makes up the rib eye . Between the chuck and the ribeye . I talked to the meat cutter yesterday . He said they are cut from the fifth rib , you only get 2 . Most guys don't mess with them , or they take them home .
Had another guy at a different store say the same thing .
Might be possible they were mis labeled .

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky