Christmas Smoked Hot Chocolate

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

GaryHibbert

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Smoked Hot Chocolate

Well, it was two days before Christmas. Gonna be cold tomorrow and for the next while. Definitely hot chocolate weather. This time of year, I find that I drink a lot of hot chocolate—somehow it just seems to fit the season perfectly.

So, I figured to up the ante on the hot chocolate situation. I decided to smoke it.

Now I’ve been kicking this idea around for a while, and did some research on smoking chocolate. There just doesn’t seem to be much agreement on either the duration of the smoke or the choice of wood. OK. That just meant that I get to use the wood of my choice and smoke it for as long as I feel it MIGHT need.

I started with a 1.8 KG (about 2 pound) tin of hot chocolate and divided it up into as many shallow pans as would fit in the MES 30.

20171223_141924.jpg

Then I filled 2 rows of the AMNPS with Jack Daniels pellets, lit both ends, and got them smoking well.

20171223_141801.jpg

I loaded up the MES and put the AMNPS in the mailbox mod. The hot chocolate cold smoked for 4 ½ hours with fairly heavy smoke. At that time I brought all the trays inside (it was a lot warmer in the kitchen), stirred the chocolate around in each tray, and scooped everything back into the original tin. I capped the tin and let it sit for 24 hours. A longer rest would probably be better, but I was champing at the bit to try some.

20171223_142554.jpg

Today, after shovelling snow and taking the hound for a walk, I was more than ready for a steaming mug of hot chocolate. I brewed it up the same as always. That was the only aspect that was the same. The smell was mild, mellow and smoky. The taste was delicious—chocolatey, with a subtle smoky goodness. It was like sitting by the campfire out in the bush, relaxing on a cold winter day. I loved it!!! Miss Linda, on the other hand, was not overly impressed. She much preferred her unsmoked mug. Well that means I get to take it all with me after Christmas when I head north for the winter log haul. Works for me. LOL

20171224_144542.jpg

The experiment, IMO, was an unqualified success. About the only thing lacking was a touch of peppermint (I was out of the After Eight chocolates I normally add to the mix). If you love hot chocolate, you really should try it smoked. It’s both simple and delicious. I’m pretty sure you’ll be hooked too.

Thanks for looking.

Gary

That's a great idea Gary, I'll have to give this a try! Thanks for the thread my friend!

Gary Why didn't you go for broke an smoke the marshmallows LOL looks good
Richie
Hey be safe hauling

Gary Why didn't you go for broke an smoke the marshmallows LOL looks good
Richie
Hey be safe hauling

Thanks Richie.
Ha!!! I already tried that Richie. The marshmallows took on some nice smoke but it seems that cold smoking changed the texture--unfavorably. The marshmallows simply wouldn't nelt into the hot chocolate. They smelled great but just floated on top. I even tried breaking them into smaller pieces to no avail. Same problem.
The only way I could see around that was to make my own marshmallows and smoke the mix. Thats when I decided to try smoking the chocolate itself.
Gary

I don't normally drink much hot chocolate anymore. Did a lot when I was younger. May have to pick up some mix and give this a shot though. Any guesses on what other woods might go well?

Everything I read on smoking chocolate in general suggested using a robust smoke like mesquite, hickory, ir Jack Daniels. Personally I don't see any reason not to use whatever wood brings back happy winter memories.
Gary

Interesting,but not for me. My wife would start shooting if I even suggest this one.

That's awesome Gary. Some nice smoked hot chocolate with some burbon. I can take a cup.

Did you make the Cholocate ( Cholocate and milk mixed) then smoked?

Looks real good Gary, I bet it would taste good here this morning. -10 currently. It's getting warmer.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky