Christmas 2010 Smoked Prime Rib

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

iso

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Aug 16, 2007
Monroe, WA
We did our Christmas dinner a week early. Full menu: Smoked prime rib, mashed potatoes with beef gravy, generic dressing, baked macaroni and cheese with panko bread crumb topping, mixed vegetables, fresh horseradish sauce.
SDC16177sm.JPG

5 bone prime rib with meat seperated from bones and tied back on. Vendor: Butcher Shop Cafe, Kenmore, Washington
SDC16179sm.JPG

Rubbed with EVOO, salt, cracked black pepper and a few other spices. With good quality beef I don't like to season it much so the natural beef flavor can shine through
SDC16182sm.JPG

Smokin with mequite and hickory with a touch of white oak
SDC16185sm.JPG

Rested and ready for slicing
SDC16186sm.JPG

First cuts.
SDC16190sm.JPG

Service​

Nice smoke ring too!  Looks delicious!  I make my horseradish sauce with a dollop of mayonnaise and a squirt of lemon juice, a slight pinch of cayenne and a tad of honey.  Maybe a tad-and-a-half.  Or three-quarters if the wife's not looking.. dang the diabetes... ho ho ho!!

Best Foods and Hellmans mayo works best - but use one that you like.

Horseradish sauce

1 cup mayonnaise
1/4 to 1/2 cup fresh horseradish
1 tsp lemon juice

1 tsp apple cider vinegar*
Salt and pepper to taste

Peel skin from horseradish and wash in very cold water. Process/grate to very fine (i.e. mince or finer) pieces. Add all ingrediants to a glass bowl and combine. Cover and let sit in cool place for 20-30 minutes. Then add salt/pepper to taste. Add more horseradish for more spiciness. Let sit overnight for best results.

* If using prepared horseradish then omit vinegar

Thanks for the compliments. We don't get to have prime rib often but it was well worth it. 

Last edited:
Great looking pime rib. I had to do mine in the oven yesterday due to the rain
mad.gif

LSO -

That looks amazing.  I am thinking of doing one next week for a late Christmas dinner with Friends.  I have a question about the bones.  I haven't seen this method before.  What is involved with separating the bones and then tying them back on?  Do you put them right back where they came from?  What are the benefits?  Do you serve the ribs as well?

This will be my first Prime Rib and I am taking a look at all the methods here.

I appreciate any advice and I hope you and your family have a happy holiday.  Thanks.

I had my butcher remove the bones then tie them right back on. The bones add very decliious flavor. First I suggest having a butcher to this. If you DIY run your knife along the inside curve of the bone. Tie back on with butcher's twine.

Yes the ribs can be served as well. They can also be used to make beef stock after being stripped of meat. The ribs can also be eaten just like pork ribs. Good stuff. The stripped meat can be used in any number of recipies (i.e. ravoli, empanada, tamales, nachos, soups, chili, etc) or eaten plain. The meat is smoky with lots of flavor.

This is how I personally cook prime rib. YMMV and other may disagree:

Rub with extra virgin olive oil

Coat with Kosher salt and cracked pepper (Montreal Steak seasoning is also good).

Wrap tightly with plastic wrap and put in fridge for at least 4 hours. I go overnight.

Pull the prime rib out and let sit on the counter while warming up the smoker.

Good opportunity to stick the thermometer probe in the middle of the muscle.

Heat up the smoker up to 225, and get the smoke going. I set my Maverick to range on 220-230. More work but I am going for a deep smoke

Put the roast in the smoker and start babysitting. Keep the smoker closed - no peeking.

This is where you need to make a decison about how done you want your meat. Rare is 125F & 145F is medium (insert standard DOH warning on undercooked meat). Pull from smoker about 5-7 degrees lower than your target. Wrap in foil and towels and rest in a cooler. If you panned your roast this is a good time to deglaze and make gravy or au jus.

Just prior to service cut strings and set aside bones. There may be a bit more cutting the bones away from the meat. Depending on the eaters cut across the grain in 1/4" to 1/2" slices. Serve immediately. If serving buffet style add au jus to the pan to keep meat moist. Pair with a young Petite Sirah or a quailty cab. Cut only what you immediately need not the entire roast. If there are left overs it can be reheated nicely in the oven, sliced thinly for a fantastic roast beef sandwich, or used in other meals.

Meat stops taking smoke at 165F and prime rib only goes to 145F max. So you need to have smoke going during the entire cook. Some people recommend injecting prime rib roast or fancy complex rubs. I don't. A quality prime (not choice or select grades) rib roast is one of the most expensive cuts of beef. I just use seasoning to compliment the naturally good beef taste.

The roast pictured above is a 5 bone IPA packed prime grade that cost about $120. I was feeding 5 adults, 1 teen, 2 small children and still had left overs. An Oregon organic roast added about 20% to the cost and a 103 Wagyu was far too rich for my wallet.

Hope that helps.
LSO -

That looks amazing.  I am thinking of doing one next week for a late Christmas dinner with Friends.  I have a question about the bones.  I haven't seen this method before.  What is involved with separating the bones and then tying them back on?  Do you put them right back where they came from?  What are the benefits?  Do you serve the ribs as well?

This will be my first Prime Rib and I am taking a look at all the methods here.

I appreciate any advice and I hope you and your family have a happy holiday.  Thanks.

LSO - 

WOW !!!  Thank you so much for that.  I think with everything you have told me I am ready to give this a go.  Thanks again.  Awesome write-up.

--

Danny

Excellent post! I see the prime rib roasts at Sam's when I'm there, but there so darn expensive. Still I have got to try one, yours looks really good and your instructions were right on. Thank-you.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky