Chris' Twisted Burgers, My Failure: Was Still VERY Good (W / Pics)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

tx smoker

Legendary Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
★ Lifetime Premier ★
Apr 14, 2013
Lago Vista, Texas
So Chris (@ gmc2003) posted his burgers with a twist, which was pretty much a glorified take on a pizza. They looked amazing and I knew I had to make them. Decided that since it was 2 of us, I'd just make one large one and we'd share it. At the end of the day, it was really good but not what I set out to create. There was a specific twist to this I wanted to share so regardless of the final outcome, I thought I'd go ahead and toss it out there and just suffer the embarrassment of screwing it up. My twist will come a bit later, so grab yourself a tub of popcorn, top off your beer, and get ready for the ride.

Here's what I started with. Please take note of the ingredients
003.jpg

Did up some homemade marinara sauce
004.jpg

Made the bowl out of the Italian sausage and the pizza dough
005.jpg

Add the bacon
006.jpg

Add pepperoni
007.jpg

Some onion, red bell pepper and Spanish olives
008.jpg

Smoked cheddar cheese
009.jpg

Marinara
010.jpg

Add some provolone
011.jpg

Sun dried tomatoes
012.jpg

On to the grill finally. This has been a bit of a process
013.jpg

Within just a few minutes it totally cratered. Too much stuff packed into it. Sausage and crust just couldn't take the weight so I wound up with a really thick pizza
014.jpg

Oh well...it was still REALLY good!!
015.jpg

Plated and ready to eat
016.jpg

017.jpg

Well, it didn't come out as I'd hoped but it still was fantastic. I wanted to re-create the twisted burger that Chris posted but at the end of the day I wound up with the world's shortest, fattest pizza. The part of this I was trying to showcase is a small portion of what I've learned from SMF. Remember back at the beginning when I asked you to pay attention to the ingredients? Well, here's why:

-Homemade Italian sausage
-Homemade bacon
-Homemade pepperoni
-Homemade sun dried tomatoes
-Homemade marinara sauce
-Home smoked cheddar cheese

Yep, that's what this thread was intended to be about, a true testament of what can be gleaned from this forum if you really want to put forth the effort to learn and apply what you've learned. This certainly did not come out as hoped, it definitely was not a pretty presentation, but it is a reflection of how great this forum can be if you choose to utilize it.

Off my soapbox now,
Robert

Sometimes what you set out to create becomes a whole new great thing! I think that looks like a failure gone right! And with all the homemade goodies in that thing you couldnt have gone wrong. Looks great! Id have a slice or two of that!

Nice job, it really looks delicious! I'd definitely eat it.

I think it looks good and appealing, I don't think anything is wrong with it all.

What if you were to make it in a cast iron pan?

Like!!

Mistakes
Lawyers send theirs to prison and Doctors bury theirs, but Cooks?
We gotta eat ours.

We can't win'em all Robert, but if that mistake is as good as it sounds and looks.
Then being a two or three time loser might be a good thing.

But the following quote is what this place is all about, sharing, learning and inspiring.

The part of this I was trying to showcase is a small portion of what I've learned from SMF. Remember back at the beginning when I asked you to pay attention to the ingredients? Well, here's why:

-Homemade Italian sausage
-Homemade bacon
-Homemade pepperoni
-Homemade sun dried tomatoes
-Homemade marinara sauce
-Home smoked cheddar cheese

Yep, that's what this thread was intended to be about, a true testament of what can be gleaned from this forum if you really want to put forth the effort to learn and apply what you've learned. This certainly did not come out as hoped, it definitely was not a pretty presentation, but it is a reflection of how great this forum can be if you choose to utilize it.

Last edited:
I was wondering how that would hold up with all those awesome fillings. You still nailed it. That looks incredible!!!!

I would eat the splat. Betters many of my oops.
I'm far from an Italian cook.
For your meal i would have precooked a thicker crust/bowl to hold shape.
Marinara needs to get reduced to a thicker sauce and warm when adding to the bowl. Excess water in the sauce makes soggy.
All ingredients need to be warm before piling in the bowl.

That's a whole heap of homemade goodies you put into that pie Robert. I wouldn't call it a failure at all, and would have been proud to devour a slice or two. As someone mentioned above I think making it in a cast iron pan or pre-cooking the sausage-n-crust a little before adding the condiments would have helped. Thank you for taking the New England Deep Dish Kettle burger up another rung on the ladder. Now you've got my mind is working...

Point for sure
Chris

Doesn't look like a failure to me Robert I would down a couple slices for sure! Love all the homemade stuff too! One of these days Ill have to time to try out all the amazing stuff you are doing! Carousel King

That is a mouthful there!
Looks real good to me!
I'll take two slices please!
Congrats on making the carousel!!
Al

Sometimes what you set out to create becomes a whole new great thing! I think that looks like a failure gone right! And with all the homemade goodies in that thing you couldnt have gone wrong. Looks great! Id have a slice or two of that!

Thank you!! I was really happy with what looked to be a disaster but ultimately turned out to be very good

Very fine effort. I would definitely eat a couple or three pieces! LIKE

Thank you!! Was not the effort I started out to create, but that's OK. Very much appreciate the comments and the LIKE

Looks ridiculously delicious to me

Thank you !! Once I got past the concept of a twisted burger and looked at it like a pizza, my perspective changed a bit :emoji_wink:

What if you were to make it in a cast iron pan?

Appreciate the nice words Joe. Believe me, I've thought through about 200 ways to make this again with more of the desired result, but as we all know, hindsight is always 20-20. I'll either do cast iron if I have the correct sized skillet or possibly a pie pan.

Not gonna give up on this one,
Robert

He had me with all of the meat that he put into it.

You would not have been disappointed if you're into the meats. this thing was 8 or 9 inches in diameter and weighed close to 3 pounds. Heck, the Italian sausage alone was a pound. It was just about 2" thick all the way across :emoji_grinning:

Ever the meat junkie,
Robert

I was wondering how that would hold up with all those awesome fillings. You still nailed it. That looks incredible!!!!

I kinda wondered too Steve but figured if it worked for Chris, it may work for me....WRONG!!

See where thinking gets me?
Robert

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky