Chopped vs. burnt end

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gr0uch0

Master of the Pit
Original poster
Apr 30, 2016
Displaced Texan in Door County WI
In Texas, you seldom go into any reputable joint without seeing the option of chopped vs. sliced brisket (or wet vs. dry), with the point being just chopped, and sliced with the flat.  Yet I don't recall anyone on this site really touching on chopping the point:  instead, it's all about burnt ends, which aren't that widely sold and popular in the LSS.  Curious if anyone does chopped with their points, and where did this turn into cubing the point instead of actually chopping it.  Appreciate any feedback:  also, if your location isn't in your profile, please include it in your comment, as I'd like to get somewhat of a regional feel of who's doing what.  Gracias!

Depends on who I'm serving...  Chopped point if I am hosting a party, since someone always wants chopped beef.  Whole point slices if I'm cooking to slice and freeze like I did this past weekend.

A local BBQ joint close to here does offer burnt ends on a daily basis, and they aren't too bad...

I'm in Denton CountyTexas for those that don't know.

I concur with CB. I'm in Whitehouse (8 miles south of the Loop in Tyler)  You have to ask for them, some places have them some don't.

My wife prefers chopped. That doesn't mean what they had left over and mixed with sauce. It's fresh sliced and chopped with sauce on the side.

Sometimes I'll do burn't ends but 80% of the time I don't. If we have people over I'll ask if they want sliced or chopped (I aim to please)

All this Brisket talk makes me hungry I may have to smoke  a Brisket !!!

Gary

Ok I have 2 questions on this subject then. 1-what kind of sauce do you put on chopped brisket? I'd hate to ruin perfectly good brisket with plain old BBQ sauce. And I know that's basically a sin to you Texas boys. 2-does chopped brisket have to come from the point? I don't really buy full packer briskets for my wife and I. Can usually find a flat. Haven't been able to find just the point at all. Guess I can up with a 3rd question - could I do chopped beef with a chuck roast? Usually do chuck roast burnt ends - my favorite. I'm in central South Dakota. Not really a BBQ place here. Got 1 diner that does chopped brisket covered in BBQ sauce. Good sauce - bland brisket. Don't like the combo

Ok I have 2 questions on this subject then. 1-what kind of sauce do you put on chopped brisket? I'd hate to ruin perfectly good brisket with plain old BBQ sauce. And I know that's basically a sin to you Texas boys. 2-does chopped brisket have to come from the point? I don't really buy full packer briskets for my wife and I. Can usually find a flat. Haven't been able to find just the point at all. Guess I can up with a 3rd question - could I do chopped beef with a chuck roast? Usually do chuck roast burnt ends - my favorite. I'm in central South Dakota. Not really a BBQ place here. Got 1 diner that does chopped brisket covered in BBQ sauce. Good sauce - bland brisket. Don't like the combo
Way it's traditionally done is a packer is smoked whole, the point's separated from the flat (point can go back on for longer cook), then it's chopped and the flat's sliced.  Sauce is traditionally not added--affords the consumer to add if so chosen, and allows the consumer to control quantity of sauce.

Any more brisket lovers care to weigh in??

I would use whatever sauce you like (Your'e favorite) I make my own (Several versions)  You can always take a pretty good store bought sauce and tweak it a bit.

Sometimes I like sauce sometimes not, just depends on my mood.  Nothing wrong with using sauce.

Chopped Brisket comes from whatever you feel like chopping. If you go to a BBQ place around here they just slice and chop what is inline on the brisket they have been carving on.

Chuck is just a different cut of meat, Smoke it and chop away..

Some of the Old Old BBQ places in Texas started out smoking Shoulder Clods  and other pieces of meat that was hard to sell.

The original BBQ joints started in meat markets as a way to do something with the fresh meat that didn't sell.So they smoked different cuts and blended other cuts with pork and made into sausage. 

Gary

I have never made burnt ends with a brisket point, but I intend to try it someday.   To my knowledge, none of the BBQ joints around here has burnt ends.   I absolutely love the point chopped with the fat and all, but since my doctor frowns on that, I don't do it but once or twice a year.    Myself, if I had my choice, I would take the chopped point over the sliced flat everytime-fat is flavor.

Last edited:
Aint even any BBQ joins in PA.  

Dickeys BBQ is here if you count that as BBQ.

I have never made burnt ends with a brisket point, but I intend to try it someday.   To my knowledge, none of the BBQ joints around here has burnt ends.   I absolutely love the point chopped with the fat and all, but since my doctor frowns on that, I don't do it but once or twice a year.    Myself, if I had my choice, I would take the chopped point over the sliced flat everytime-fat is flavor.
Arlie, I'm from just down the road from you on 1960.  None of the places that I remember--or go to now when I get back--do burnt ends:  it's either sliced or chopped.

Southern OK (4 miles from TX border) and I had never heard of burnt ends until I found this site.  Also brisket around here is always served either sliced or chopped with the sauce on the side or by request.  Same with ribs BTW.  I always thought if you put sauce on it you were hiding something. 

Southern OK (4 miles from TX border) and I had never heard of burnt ends until I found this site.  Also brisket around here is always served either sliced or chopped with the sauce on the side or by request.  Same with ribs BTW.  I always thought if you put sauce on it you were hiding something. 
Same as me, Okie.  I'd heard of burnt ends, had no idea it was the entire point, and never eaten them.  Sauce is same rationale as you:  nothing wrong with it, mind you, but don't cover the meat with it until I've tried it.  Let me decide if and how much.

You south of Durant, or farther east?

We're really going to have to do an Okie meetup at some point. 

We're really going to have to do an Okie meetup at some point. 
I've never been in a rib joint that served ribs pre-sauced. You certainly won't see it in KC and the surrounding area. Unless is some crummy chain place like Applebees. 
icon_mad.gif

I've never been in a rib joint that served ribs pre-sauced. You certainly won't see it in KC and the surrounding area. Unless is some crummy chain place like Applebees. 
icon_mad.gif
There are a few places in Oklahoma that serve them pre-sauced. I haven't eaten in any of them that were worth a darn but they do exist.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky