Chopped vs. burnt end

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
What about burnt ends, SOT? You see these more than chopped in NE OK, or vice versa?
More chopped than burnt ends, I'd say. I'm not including the chains and places like Applebee's that sell "BBQ" along with everything else.

The long term established places (My Place and Mahylons in Muskogee, Oklahoma Style in Tulsa, etc.) serve both chopped and sliced brisket sandwiches. I can't recall any that serve a chopped brisket dinner. JL's in Pryor might but I haven't been there in years. I don't remember if they did 20 years ago or not. Wild Horse in Sallisaw (the best BBQ shack in the state in my opinion) is sliced only.

My buddy's place in Tahlequah has burnt ends on Fridays and Saturdays, as a special, along with chopped sandwiches and sliced dinners all the time. He's been making burnt ends for years though. I had them at his house probably 20 years ago before I ever had them in KC.

It seems like the newer the place the more likely it is that they serve burnt ends, at least around here.

Same as me, Okie.  I'd heard of burnt ends, had no idea it was the entire point, and never eaten them.  Sauce is same rationale as you:  nothing wrong with it, mind you, but don't cover the meat with it until I've tried it.  Let me decide if and how much.

You south of Durant, or farther east?
South and East of Durant.  Right on the north end of the Denison Damn on Lake Texoma.  As far south as I could go without being in TX.

We're really going to have to do an Okie meetup at some point. 
Beer and BBQ?

Count me in! 

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky