choosing a paprika

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

crestwood buck

Original poster
Mar 28, 2010
Crestwood, ky
Guys and gals, I am new to the smoking scene and was wanting your input on what kind of paprika is best to put in my rubs?  Thanks in advance, I have learned tons by reading on the SMF the last several months.

Make small batches of rub with each kind. Some people prefer spanish, others likes hungarian, I prefer smoked with a touch of hungarian. Within the hungarian variety there are a few sub-varieties.

Rub is different for every person.

I am a fan of Szeged brand Hungarian paprika.  Great stuff for all types of uses and meats.  Sweet and rich, not hot.  My local grocery store also carries it.

I bought some sweet Hungarian at Penze the other day and really liked the quality.

Here's the link to what I bought:

http://www.penzeys.com/cgi-bin/penzeys/p-penzeyspaprika.html
I just picked some of this up the other day too to try - haven't used it yet but I did use their chipotle which I thought was very good. I never heard of this place before until a co-worker told me about it - there's a location right across from my office in NYC - pretty funny that it was right under my nose all that time - nice selection of stuff.

I swear by all of Penzy's spices.  I have a smoke paprika from them and a hungarian. 

Try a little of their cinnamon in your next rib rub...just a little because the cinnamon from them is very strong!  

If you're using it in a rub with a lot of other flavours, I don't think it will matter much, what paprika you use. There will be such a mix of flavours that the subtleties of one paprika over another will be lost.

It all depends on what I'm making.  In my spice cabinet right now we have a smokey spanish, and both a spicy and a sweet hungarian.  It all depends on what it's going to be used for.  

In rubs for things getting smoke I usually use the spicy hungarian.  The sweet is good with poultry and ham though.  The smokey spanish is used in almost anything that isnt going on the smoker. 

Sure them Hungarians make some good paprika, but can you trust em?......... Can you? 
icon_mrgreen.gif

Has anybody tried Moroccan paprika? I can't seem to find Hunky paprika where i am in Canada. My neighbor brought me some to try just haven't got around to it yet.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky