Chili

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.
I saved this one from somewhere, it looked good
(not mine, never tried it, but I intended to).

• 1 ⅓ pounds ground beef 80/20
  • 1 large sweet onion diced
  • 1 red bell pepper seeded and diced
  • 1 green bell pepper
  • 4 cloves garlic minced
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil
  • 1 28 oz can diced tomatoes
  • 2 cups beef broth
  • 1 can pinto beans drained and rinsed
  • 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
  • sour cream as garnish
  • shredded cheddar cheese as garnish
Spice Mixture
  • 2 teaspoons sea salt
  • 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
  • 2 teaspoons chili powder
  • 1 teaspoon black pepper
  • 1 teaspoon cumin
  • 1 teaspoon Mexican oregano
  • 1 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1 teaspoon onion powder
  • ½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
  • ½ teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes

Instructions
  • Preheat your grill or smoker to 225 degrees with thin blue smoke from soaked wood chips or chunks.
  • While your grill preheats, prepare your meat and vegetables for smoking. Lay a large piece of aluminum foil on a baking sheet. Evenly spread the onions, peppers, and garlic across the foil and drizzle with the olive oil. Set an elevated cooling rack over the vegetables. Gently spread your ground beef into a large patty, about 1/2 inch thick, and set on the cooling rack.
  • In a small bowl. combine all of the spices. Sprinkle liberally over both the vegetables and ground beef. Set the baking pan on the grate of your smoker, close the lid and smoke at 225 for about an hour.
  • Heat a large pot over medium heat. Slowly transfer the vegetables and meat into the pot and stir with a wooden spoon or spatula, breaking up the meat into smaller pieces. Pour in the can of tomatoes, beef broth, and beans.
  • Reduce the heat to low and simmer for an additional hour. Watch the liquid level and stir often to prevent anything from burning to the bottom. If you like your chili to be thicker, you can add 2 Tablespoons of tomato paste. If you like it thinner, you can add more beef broth.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky