Chicken Thighs

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

harleybike

Smoke Blower
Original poster
Jun 4, 2015
S/E Michigan~~Metro Detroit
So. I’m back after a long time off of smoking. My first cook on my new RT-590 and first ever pellet smoker cook. I wanted to make it an easy and quick first cook, Boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Along with bite size creamers potatoes. I did the 0-400 cook. I used Meat Church “The Gospel” rub. A few points of interest. They cooked for just under an hour and taken off at an IT 175. I noticed that there was not a lot of smoke coming out of the grill. The chicken, while very tender and juicy did not have much smoke flavor. The potatoes were undercooked. I read a post that they should have been done at the same time as the chicken. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Cheers!

Attachments

• D16FB0EC-589A-4759-A6A6-08446D84CA45.jpeg
    D16FB0EC-589A-4759-A6A6-08446D84CA45.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 35
  • 062CE3F5-F5D2-465B-80A0-F31717A71FE5.jpeg
    062CE3F5-F5D2-465B-80A0-F31717A71FE5.jpeg
    174.6 KB · Views: 36
Reactions: mike243
What brand of pellets did you use? When I had a pellet grill I would use my AMNPS to get more flavor along with Lumberjack pellets. I found that gave the most smoke flavor. Also for longer cooks start at lower temps. Like 200* for an hour or so to generate more smoke.

Reactions: harleybike
What brand of pellets did you use? When I had a pellet grill I would use my AMNPS to get more flavor along with Lumberjack pellets. I found that gave the most smoke flavor. Also for longer cooks start at lower temps. Like 200* for an hour or so to generate more smoke.
They sent four 18# bags their 4 pellet flavors for “free” so I cracked open the mesquite pellets. I tired the 0-400 method. They cooked quick. So lower and slower night give them more smoke flavor?

RT's are very good pellet cookers run on low for 30 minutes or more then slowly start bumping up the temp 20/25 degrees at a time until you reach your desired IT. Use the probe(s) that came with the RT. when you get within 5 degrees then check with an instant read thermometer.

• Love
Good looking thighs. On a pellet, the lower the temp the more smoke you will get. You can always supplement/add smoke with a tube as well. I cook with a lot of mesquite as it is native to my area. It will leave a very strong/pronounced smoke flavor usually.

They look good, unfortunately with pellet smokers the higher the temp the less smoke you'll get. I would imagine at 400 you wouldn't get much at all.

The thighs look great . I have a different brand of pellet grill , that puts nice smoke flavor on the food . I do like suggested in post #6 . I start low , then after a period of time bump the temp 25 degrees and let it ride for a bit . Do that until your desired temp is reached .
I smoke around 325 or less ,,, 400 and up for grilling .

• Love
The thighs look great . I have a different brand of pellet grill , that puts nice smoke flavor on the food . I do like suggested in post #6 . I start low , then after a period of time bump the temp 25 degrees and let it ride for a bit . Do that until your desired temp is reached .
I smoke around 325 or less ,,, 400 and up for grilling .
Sounds like Allan. Thanks man.

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Hot Threads

Clicky