Chicken Thighs (MES 40 Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bear how come you used pans?  Can one just put the thighs directly on the grates?
Sure you can put them right on the racks, but Chicken can really drip a lot all over the place. I would at least put a pan on the rack below to catch the fat, and make it easier to clean up after.

Just make sure you don't block the flow of heat by crowding a rack with pans or foil.

Here's one I did with the Thighs right on the rack.

Chicken Thighs (Hickory Smoked)

Bear

You prefer putting them in a pan or on the rack with the pan below?  It looks like in the pan they wont get enough smoke underneath.  Wont the heat block be less with the pan underneath vs in the pan?

You prefer putting them in a pan or on the rack with the pan below?  It looks like in the pan they wont get enough smoke underneath.  Wont the heat block be less with the pan underneath vs in the pan?
As long as you use a wire drying rack in the pan under the meat, you get smoke underneath. I now also do it with Butts, Prime Rib, and other things.

I thought the same as you, until I first tested it with a Prime Rib, and found plenty of smoke flavor on the bottom of the roast.

It's not what's on the racks that causes the heat to be blocked. It is the lack of enough space surrounding the things that are on the racks.

Note: Read what I typed in "Blue" in my original post on this thread.

Bear

Last edited:
Great looking meal as usual Bear , I used your step by step only on skinless boneless thighs with rub  and I smoked cubed taters with olive oil and Lawrys seasoning salt last night

Must have been a night for chicken thighs and taters

Great looking meal as usual Bear , I used your step by step only on skinless boneless thighs with rub  and I smoked cubed taters with olive oil and Lawrys seasoning salt last night

Must have been a night for chicken thighs and taters
Thanks Bill !!

Glad you like it !!!

Bear

My local grocery store[ HEB] sells throw away racks in the BBQ section]  that are jut a bit too big so I bend one edge up about 2" and they work fine. Of course I reuse, so for 98 cents, I have a fix. They are diamond shaped "expanded metal" made of aluminum. Very lightweight, can use for veggies, bacon, jerkey chicken etc. I put them on top of my MES rack and carry them as well as smoke them

My local grocery store[ HEB] sells throw away racks in the BBQ section]  that are jut a bit too big so I bend one edge up about 2" and they work fine. Of course I reuse, so for 98 cents, I have a fix. They are diamond shaped "expanded metal" made of aluminum. Very lightweight, can use for veggies, bacon, jerkey chicken etc. I put them on top of my MES rack and carry them as well as smoke them
Do they fit inside of a foil pan?

The purpose of the drying racks I use is to put them in a foil pan---Then put the meat on the drying rack. Then the food won't drip all over the bottom of the smoker, yet the smoke can get to the bottom of the meat, plus the meat won't be laying in it's own fat.

Bear

do you put water in those trays with the chicken?
No---I never put water in any pan. The MES doesn't need added humidity.

The only liquid I ever use during a smoke is when I foil things like Butts, Ribs, Chuckies, etc, I'll ad a little to those packages.

Bear

Great job Bear.  Looks so good.  What kind of rub goes good on chicken?  That bacon on the taters doesn't look fried very much but looked awesome after coming out of the smoke.  Is it just a light cook in the frying pan or does she microwave it for a minute or what?  Thanks!

Great job Bear.  Looks so good.  What kind of rub goes good on chicken?  That bacon on the taters doesn't look fried very much but looked awesome after coming out of the smoke.  Is it just a light cook in the frying pan or does she microwave it for a minute or what?  Thanks!
Thank You Sir!!

I use all kinds of Rubs on Pork & Chicken---Sometimes from my Son or one of his friends, or from one of my Friends, and even from the store, like McCormick's, after a coat of Yellow Mustard (Which you don't taste).

The only thing I never use those rubs on is Beef. Beef gets a coat of Lea & Perrins Bold Steak Sauce (Formerly named Worcestershire "Thick") with CBP, Garlic Powder & Onion Powder sprinkled on top.

The Bacon only gets a light frying before Smoking, so it doesn't end up like little Rocks when it's done.

Bear

That looks really good. My wife always asks me to put on a couple of baking potatoes whenever I do any smoking. I usually throw 4 or five large ones on the top rack. I rub them with EVO then season with Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. They usually finish in 2 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the size. We love smoked potatoes and having them in the frig to warm up later or make hashbrowns out of is always a treat.

That looks really good. My wife always asks me to put on a couple of baking potatoes whenever I do any smoking. I usually throw 4 or five large ones on the top rack. I rub them with EVO then season with Sea Salt and fresh ground Black Pepper. They usually finish in 2 to 2 1/2 hours, depending on the size. We love smoked potatoes and having them in the frig to warm up later or make hashbrowns out of is always a treat.
Thanks Billy!!

Smoked Taters are real good!!

BTW: I see you just joined.----->
welcome1.gif

When you get time, please go to "Roll Call" & introduce yourself, so others can give you a proper Welcome.

Bear

Better not show your wife this photo or she will want a rotisserie in your smoker to !
Thanks----Don't you like my Chicken Thighs???

I couldn't put one in my MES, or my Weber "Q", but I don't need any more Toys anyway.

You should start your own Thread with that, so everybody could see it & comment on it.
icon14.gif

Bear

THANK you for your service, I was in the navy for 25 years with 18 months at the South Pole.  We even rigged up a bbq grill there !  MES should make them with a rotisserie 

sparky
A rotisserie is Great on a grill, because the heat is mainly coming directly from beneath, but it would make no sense in a Smoker like an MES. The heat & smoke surrounds the meat entirely. No Direct heat in an MES.

And Thank You for your service!!

Bear

Last edited:

Might have to get me some of those grates Bearcarver
They're real handy.

I use one when I Smoke my Prime Ribs too.

They allow the meat to get smoked all the way around, and the meat isn't sitting in the juices.

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.
Clicky