Chicken Thighs (MES 40 Smoked)

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

Bearcarver

Gone but not forgotten RIP
Original poster
OTBS Member
Group Lead
Sep 12, 2009
Macungie, PA

Found thighs on sale @ 99 cents per pound. Got a pack of 10.

Day #1 (Prepping):
Rinse Thighs, Dry, Coat with EVO, apply Rub, Put in Zip-lock, and put in Fridge over night.

Day #2 (Smoking)

1:15 PM------------------Preheat MES 40 to 225*
1:15 PM------------------Fill AMNPS ½ full with Hickory Pellets, and light one end.
1:35 PM------------------Put AMNPS on bottom bars, left of the chip burner assembly.
2:00 PM------------------Put both pans on 2nd position grill.
3:30 PM------------------Bump Heat up to 250*
4:00 PM------------------Bump Heat up to 275*
4:15 PM------------------Put Pan of Stuffed Twice Baked Taters on top position.
5:00 PM------------------Thighs not done yet----See ** Below.
5:00 PM------------------Remove Taters & move one Pan of thighs to top position.
5:50 PM------------------Remove finished Thighs.(165* to 172*) Pics & Eat.

** I noticed during the smoke, my Maverick above the Thighs (left side) was averaging 160* to 210*, and the Maverick below the Thighs (right side) averaged 240*, then 260*, and then 290*. At first I thought it was either the upper probe being close to the cold meat, or the 2 Foil Pans on one rack was trapping the heat below them. Once the thighs got hot, I realized it was definitely the Pans trapping the heat. They take up nearly the whole depth & width of the Smoker. Normally the thighs would have been done by 5 PM, but they were only at about 142* IT at that time. When I removed the Taters, I moved one of the Foil Pans to the top position. This changed both of the Mavericks to the 270* to 285* range. The Thighs were all between 165* and 172* at 5:50 PM, and I removed them. They were still Awesome!!!

Bear

Ten Thighs @ 99 cents per pound:
DSCN0104.jpg

Rub over EVO, bagged & into fridge over night:
DSCN0106.jpg

Five in each tray on top of wire drying racks:
DSCN0110.jpg

View through my window:
DSCN0111.jpg

Stuffed Twice Baked Taters ready for smoker:
DSCN0117.jpg

Perfect AMNPS TBS:
DSCN0119.jpg

A little Local Corn:
DSCN0122.jpg

Stuffed Twice Baked Taters fresh out of smoker:
DSCN0124.jpg

Thighs fresh out of smoker:
DSCN0128.jpg

Bear's First Helping:
DSCN0130.jpg

Last edited:
Great looking meal there Bear!!

We had twice baked taters last night too, pulled pork and hatch chile stuffed! Ours weren't fresh though. We vac pack them up and freeze them for quick meals. I nuke them right in the vac pack to reheat. Last night I had one explode!!!!!!! Guess I'll start poking a hole in the bag prior to reheating from now on! Made quite the mess in the micro that I had just cleaned!

As usual, bear, another great post. It makes me long for my old model mes 40. I've been thru 4 of the gen 2 models since december. FOUR. And now #4 has given up the ghost. Anyway thanks for the pics. BTW, what did mama bear do for dessert?

Last edited:
WOW looks great, but you took the corn off of the cob?

Great looking meal there Bear!!

We had twice baked taters last night too, pulled pork and hatch chile stuffed! Ours weren't fresh though. We vac pack them up and freeze them for quick meals. I nuke them right in the vac pack to reheat. Last night I had one explode!!!!!!! Guess I'll start poking a hole in the bag prior to reheating from now on! Made quite the mess in the micro that I had just cleaned!
Thanks Case!!

I get in trouble with the Nukulator too. I sure didn't think a little bit of butter (while melting it) would cause such an explosion!!!

Bear
i'd dig into that without any hesitation...looks awesome as always Bear
Thank You Much, Redneck!!

Bear

Were the twice baked potatoes cooked the first time in the oven then finished on the smoker? That is an awesome idea.

You Da man, looks great, Bear!

** I noticed during the smoke, my Maverick above the Thighs (left side) was averaging 160* to 210*, and the Maverick below the Thighs (right side) averaged 240*, then 260*, and then 290*. At first I thought it was either the upper probe being close to the cold meat, or the 2 Foil Pans on one rack was trapping the heat below them. Once the thighs got hot, I realized it was definitely the Pans trapping the heat. They take up nearly the whole depth & width of the Smoker. Normally the thighs would have been done by 5 PM, but they were only at about 142* IT at that time. When I removed the Taters, I moved one of the Foil Pans to the top position. This changed both of the Mavericks to the 270* to 285* range. The Thighs were all between 165* and 172* at 5:50 PM, and I removed them. They were still Awesome!!!

Bear

I have the same problem on my GOSM when doing beans in a pan.

Bear

That is some MY T FINE looking grub.

Happy smoken.

David
Thanks David!!

Bear
As usual, bear, another great post. It makes me long for my old model mes 40. I've been thru 4 of the gen 2 models since december. FOUR. And now #4 has given up the ghost. Anyway thanks for the pics. BTW, what did mama bear do for dessert?
Thanks Geerock!!!

I've been working with Darryl (when he's around), and I've been trying to get them to go back to their old Gen #1 interior, but keep the exhaust on the top left (top---not side), and keep the door hinged left. The two biggest problems are the front control unit & that stupid slanted drip tray that traps heat on the right side!!

We very seldom eat dessert.

Bear

Looks great Bear, as always!!

Were the twice baked potatoes already cooked, and just on the smoker to melt the cheese and get some smokiness?

Your post is on Facebook again, so congrats on that too!!

Were the twice baked potatoes cooked the first time in the oven then finished on the smoker? That is an awesome idea.
Looks great Bear, as always!!

Were the twice baked potatoes already cooked, and just on the smoker to melt the cheese and get some smokiness?

Your post is on Facebook again, so congrats on that too!!
Thank You Moses & Suie!!

Here is how Mrs Bear does them:

Mrs Bear Baked the Taters first.

Cut them in half the long way.

Then scooped out the meat of the Taters, leaving about 1/4" to 3/8".

Mash the Taters, adding about one tsp of shredded Cheddar. Also add Milk & Butter until smooth (with mixer)

Then put mix back in Tater skins, dividing equally among the skins.

Top with Fried Bacon pieces, Shredded Cheddar, and Shredded Mozzarella.

Smoke for about 45 minutes, melting the cheese & heating the Taters up good.

That all looks delicious, Bear!  Well done as always.  That's exactly how Mrs. Red and I do twice baked taters, except we usually add some chopped chives or green onions as well to the mashed mixture.

Red

I will definitely be doing twice backed potatoes the next time I smoke. Showed the wife the pic of them and she fell in love.

I love your step-by-step posts. Great for us newbies!

Thank You!!

I'm glad you like them!

I use them too----Makes it a lot easier for me to do a smoke the second & third time than the first time.

Bear

Quote:
Looks fantastic Bear!!! We love twice baked taters in the smoker.
Thank You Alesia!!

Bear

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Hot Threads

Clicky