Chicken Thighs - Kettle Style

• Some of the links on this forum allow SMF, at no cost to you, to earn a small commission when you click through and make a purchase. Let me know if you have any questions about this.
SMF is reader-supported. When you buy through links on our site, we may earn an affiliate commission.

gmc2003

Epic Pitmaster
Original poster
OTBS Member
SMF Premier Member
Sep 15, 2012
With the end of nice weather fast approaching. I thought it was a good time to exercise the kettle. So I picked up some nice thighs and fired up the 22" kettle/Vortex last night. I had about 2/3's of a chimney worth of briquettes in an open bag so I implemented the final 3rd with some leftover lump pieces.

The beer pole was more then ready to assist:
DSC04395.JPG

Tators go on top of the Vortex to get a jump on the chicken:

DSC04394.JPG

Spuds off the side and the Kettle is ready for some chicken: A chunk of apple wood for seasoning.

DSC04404.JPG

After a short spell
DSC04411.JPG

Add some Sweet Baby Rays:
DSC04415.JPG

...and they're done:

DSC04417.JPG

Thanks for your time.

Chris

Nice, I have not fired up the kettle since I got the gravity but nothing beats the vortex/kettle for chicken pieces.

The weather here since Friday has been miserable from the hurricane left overs. Heavy wind/rain and cold, it even pulled our patio umbrella from the table and destroyed it. Our fault for not taking it down.

Reactions: gmc2003
Nice, I have not fired up the kettle since I got the gravity but nothing beats the vortex/kettle for chicken pieces.

The weather here since Friday has been miserable from the hurricane left overs. Heavy wind/rain and cold, it even pulled our patio umbrella from the table and destroyed it. Our fault for not taking it down.
Wow that $ucks Cliff, We've had our fair share of rain lately but nothing serious. I haven't fired up the kettle's much lately either, but that's because we've been babysitting our grandson a lot lately and they don't eat meat. Although they are starting to hint at going back to being carnivores. Fingers crossed.

Chris

• Haha
Reactions: clifish
More Weber wizardry, a wonderful thing to see Chris! Beer, taters, thighs, SBR, easy peasy and perfect in every way! RAY

Perfect . Great way to do chicken parts . I always make a couple extra taters for the next day's breakfast .
Nice work bud .

Nice Love thighs on the grill

Warren
Thanks Warren, grills and chicken are a match made in heave
At some point I need to put in a beer pole,beer fence just isn't the same.
LOL appreciate it Norm. Next to Skid Mark the beer pole is the best sous chef I've ever had.

Chris

More Weber wizardry, a wonderful thing to see Chris! Beer, taters, thighs, SBR, easy peasy and perfect in every way! RAY
Thanks Ray, I wouldn't call it wizadry, but it makes for a perfect end of summer meal.

Perfect . Great way to do chicken parts . I always make a couple extra taters for the next day's breakfast .
Nice work bud .
Appreciate it Rich, You guessed correctly. The extra taters were transformed into hash browns this morning. Along side a ham and cheddar omelette. Repuposing at it's best!!!

Chris

Great job once again!
LIKE!
Thank you muchly banjo-man.
Nice! I just ordered a Vortex, should be here tomorrow. Looking forward to trying out some chicken on it.
Appreciate it mneeley, Your gonna love the Vortex for chicken and all sorts of other foods requiring high heat. Word of warning: if your kettle doesn't have the clam shell in between the handle and lid. Then wear a glove when removing the lid. The handle has been known to get really hot.

Chris

Looks great!
Thanks SCBBQ. It tasted better then it looked.

Chris, you've been busy. Good looking chicken parts too.
Nice work.

Stu
Appreciate it Stu, Between working and babysitting my free time has been greatly reduced. It felt good giving the beer pole and kettle a end of year workout.

Chris

SmokingMeatForums.com is reader supported and as an Amazon Associate, we may earn commissions from qualifying purchases.

Latest posts

Clicky